Megaflow location

Hi all

I'm trying to decide on the best location for the unvented hot water tank, 300l capacity.

I would rather it was in the loft out of the way, but the plumber wants it in the Utility on the ground floor. There is also a compromise location possibility in the ensuite on the first floor.

Other than obvious access issues, are there particular issues with having the tank in the loft in terms of water pressure or anything else?

For context, we will be having wet UFH downstairs, and radiators off manifolds upstairs. One shower downstairs, and a family bathroom (with shower over bath), and ensuite (shower) upstairs. Fed off a normal gas boiler.

Thanks for any advice

Peter

The 2 things to consider are making the hot water pipework from the cylinder to the taps as short as possible. So try and get the tank central to all points of use.

And you will need a D2 vent pipe to discharge water in the event of a fault, that usually goes to a drain outside (though can via a waterless trap go to an internal stack pipe)  That may make for example a ground floor location close the the centre of the house impossible.

Thanks all. All options would be fairly close to an outside wall, so that probably is ok.

I suspect weight issues could be managed.

The plumber told me he wants to use a distribution pump on a timer to ensure quick access to hot water. Is that a good idea? This appears to be irrespective of where the tank is located.

Do you think the risk of leakage is significant enough to warrant having the tank on the ground floor just for that reason?

Thanks

Pete

6 minutes ago, PeteTheSwede said:

The plumber told me he wants to use a distribution pump on a timer to ensure quick access to hot water. Is that a good idea? This appears to be irrespective of where the tank is located.

Don’t use a timer - use a PIR in the bathrooms and run the feeds to the kitchen / utility in 10mm as they don’t need the flow. 

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Don’t use a timer - use a PIR in the bathrooms and run the feeds to the kitchen / utility in 10mm as they don’t need the flow. 

This is what we did - spark also made the pump run on bathroom light switch - same circuit activates MVHR boost... 

Just make sure pipes are all well lagged to minimise heat loss on the return circuit.