breezeblock outline on internal wall

vivienz

A friend is having a kitchen extension done in a couple of months. She has mentioned that one of the external walls that won't be altered has bothered her since they moved in a couple of years ago because she can see the outline of the breezeblock through the plaster and wallpaper that cover it.

What's the best way to overcome this? Re-plaster? Dryline and skim?

It depends if it is eg damp leaching through, or a physical impression of the blocks.

If there is no insulation in the wall I would dry line with about 50mm+ of celotex in it and skim.

And use that as a lever for a new kitchen in the other bit ?.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, vivienz said:

What's the best way to overcome this? Re-plaster? Dryline and skim?

Tell the friend the prior owner might have burnt a silly number of candles all the time.

I have seen this before, the daft householder (Swmbo) was always burning candles and over a period of years I noticed the sooty elements in the smoke settled on the colder mortar joints. There was no cavity wall insulation in that 1998 house.

42 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Tell the friend the prior owner might have burnt a silly number of candles all the time.

I have seen this before, the daft householder (Swmbo) was always burning candles and over a period of years I noticed the sooty elements in the smoke settled on the colder mortar joints. There was no cavity wall insulation in that 1998 house.

Thanks, and interesting. That may well have been the case. But then, my friend is also a prodigious burner of smelly candles.