Repointing tool - gimmick?

Hello. 

I have a lot of repointing to do on brick barn walls.

Do you think this tool be helpful, or an expensive gimmick?! 

https://www.sunrisetools.co.uk/brickwork-masonry/pointing-finishing/quikpoint/quikpoint-with-drill.html

I'll be starting by repointing the inside, which will later be covered with insulation and plasterboard etc, so good practice before I get to the outside! 

For that kind of money that would be a no.  I used a tool similar to this. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-mortar-gun-kit/1983t

It won't matter really what you use the difficult bit is getting the mix right so it flows correct and the constant cleaning you need to do to keep it flowing. 

After every 3 tubes i dunked mine in a bucket of water to rinse it out.  

I think the mortar mix is going to be the main thing and you may want to look at using a lime based mortar for this. Because the mix is likely to be fairly stiff it will not work with a pointing gun so you will need to press it in to the joints.

1 hour ago, Jenni said:

I have a lot of repointing to do on brick barn walls.

As @Mr Punter says if it’s lime based mortar you would be wise to make sure you are replacing it with the same stuff or you could be in a world of problems. I have done extensive repointing but used a week mix 6/1/1 sand - hydrated lime - cement but my walls were stone 700-1000mm thick and had a rubble core as well as very fractured stone so plenty of ventilation and no chance of external moisture being driven in and trapped. Confirm what type of mortar is there, rake out to make sure that the new mortar can key into the bricks, go crazzy with a trowl and mortar board, let it go off a wee bit and brush it back with a semi stiff yard brush. Clean up and onto the next section. It’s all going to be covered so smearing the mortar mix over the bricks won’t be a problem, though you will need to get better at the finish when it comes to the outside if it’s not going to be painted. 

i second what Punter says - if it is a barn wall of a certain age it is very likely to have been built with hydraulic lime mortar (not hydrated lime) and should be repointed in similar, not cement. The sand used also tends to be a bit sharper (not as fine particles as in a cement mortar) and the mix stiffer so pointing guns not so effective. A 'small tool' is useful, just make sure the square end is slightly narrower than the typical joint size - something like this:

https://www.oxtools.co.uk/hand-tools/masonry-tools/small-tools/pro-small-tool.html

Thank you all for your advice, you've probably saved me from the expensive gimmick! I'll just have to knuckle down and get on with it by hand. 

You're correct that it'll need to be a lime mortar I use. We've had some work done by a proper brickie, I'm sure he'll share the correct mix info with me when I'm ready.