Building control approval for self build mortgage

Water

Good morning

I have a plot with detailed PP, but need a self build mortgage to start the build, one of the conditionals is building control approval before they will release any funds. 

I’ve read up on this online but it seems to all be about the completion certificate, which clearly I won’t have before the build. 

How easily and cheaply can I get this? I assume this is linked to the people who come out and inspect the build, which you can couple with the warranty provider?

Any guidance appreciated 

Hi and welcome. 

They will be looking for the Plans Approval in England & Wales, or the Building Warrant issued in Scotland

Not an unusual request - its the first part of the Building Regulations process for a House normally - you submit the plans to your chosen provider (Local Authority or Private company) and they will review them before you start. Usually about £4-600 depending on location. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Water said:

I’ve read up on this online but it seems to all be about the completion certificate, which clearly I won’t have before the build. 

Building control involves multiple on-site inspections at key stages of the build, about 5 to 7 inspections I think. The mortgage company will release funds in stages as the prior stage is approved by building control.

I am at step-3. Step-1 was after the foundation trenches were dug and step-2 was after the foundation concrete pour.

• Like 1

Which country are you building in as England and Wales have separate procedures. 

I'm not sure about England and Wales, in Scotland you can't rely on building control inspecting each stage and then creating a report that would be suitable for a lender.

I had a couple of options, either:

1: Use a warranty company such as Protek to inspect each stage has been completed, they then create a report for the lender.

2: Use Architect (of my choosing, isn't the architect that designed the house) and a surveying company that has been appointed by the lender to inspect each stage.

I originally went with option 1, however when I discovered that the inspector would be travelling from England to inspect my house in Aberdeenshire I cancelled as I was worried that this could delay the funds if he struggled to travel to Aberdeenshire over the winter. Instead I went with option 2 and it has been OK so far.

Edited by ultramods
  • Like 1

Do you know if there is anything I need to do for the initial sign off? Such as surveys etc. 

It’s in England. 

Thanks for the replies

You would need full planning permission and a building warrant issued by the council before the lender would lend any funds.

• Like 1

Do you know if there is anything I need to do for the initial sign off? Such as surveys etc. 

It’s in England. 

Thanks for the replies

Hi - you need your building regulations plans for submission. These will include a layout plan and a drainage plan, and sometimes the topographic survey if it has this information overlaid. Other than that it’s the plans, sections and engineers drawings and calculations. 

Do you have a main contractor or project manager ..??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Water said:

It’s in England. 

You are using slightly confusing terms.

"Sign off" is the major end of build event that often triggers a VAT reclaim and at this point you can consider your house complete even if there is incomplete landscaping, some unpainted rooms and the bathroom tiles are still in the box they arrived in.

Submission is the technical review of your plans (diagrams) that must be done before starting to dig out the foundations. This is a far shorter review step when compared to the original planning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Water said:

If you are going doing a Building Control Application you normally send them a full set of plans and other documents with the application. The BCO will look over the plans and write back with a request for any extra info he needs. That might be anything from evidence that soakaways will work (soil percolation test required) to engineering calculations for steel beams (Structural Engineer might be needed to do some sums).

Eventually he will agree that what you have submitted is ok and you can start work on site. He will usually want to inspect the bottom of the foundation trenches before you fill them.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I may have gotten myself into a pickle with all this.

The person who was acting as an adviser for the build said I needed to pay the local authority a fee for the building control application, it was around £250, they have now sent me a letter thanking me for the deposit and they will require the additional £650 in due course! I 

Now I was going to use the warranty provider for building control, so not really sure if this has been messed out somehow?

They have sent me a list of when they will like to inspect the building work and how much notice I have to give them...

So very confused, sorry to be a pain with this.

Thanks I will get all the CIL paperwork completed asap. 

Edited by Water

Cheers Joe, I think I may have to go grovelling.

What I also don't understand is why they don't mention this initial approval which the mortgage provider wants.  It just goes on about when the inspections will be. 

27 minutes ago, Water said:

Cheers Joe, I think I may have to go grovelling.

What I also don't understand is why they don't mention this initial approval which the mortgage provider wants.  It just goes on about when the inspections will be. 

When you speak to the Building Inspector let them know that what you need is the “plans approval” stage for your mortgage. 

Normally, Local Authority Building Control will not let you switch to a private “approved inspector” once a deposit has been paid.

Edited by Ian

51 minutes ago, Ian said:

Normally, Local Authority Building Control will not let you switch to a private “approved inspector” once a deposit has been paid.

they will but you won’t get your £250 back 

@Water I’d write off the £250, file the CIL paperwork and walk away ... more hassle than it’s worth chasing the money.