Passivhaus certified roof lights with electric opening

joth

We're planning skylights in the faulted ceiling over the hallway -- 2.5 stories up. It will make great stack cooling, but that means electric (and ideally automatable) opening.

Velux do one, but I've heard mixed things about it  so at least want to explore a second option.

Fakro can do PassiveHouse certified OR electric opening, but not both together, AFAICT.

Any others I should look at, or just make Velux work?

Edited by joth

1 hour ago, joth said:

Farko can do Passiv or electric opening, but not both together AFAICT.

What do you mean by "Passiv"? Do you mean PassivHaus certified? 

Is it on a flat or pitched roof? We have an electric opening quad (I think!) glazed Fakro rooflight on our flat roof. Not PH certified, but the numbers are fine.

55 minutes ago, joth said:

Yes, by Passiv I meant PH certified, editted to clarify.

Cool, thanks.

Next question: why do you need them to be PH certified? From memory, PH-certified windows aren't a requirement even if you're going for PH certification. It's just that you get a little more leeway in the numbers (can't remember how it works for windows, but as an example, for MVHR you need to put in a penalty factor of something like 15% if the unit isn't PH-certified).

If you aren't going for certification, I'd just look at the specs and make sure you're happy with them. The PH-certified product will be more expensive than the same spec non-certified, because of the fees paid to the PH Institute for certification.

If you are going for certification, then it's only one window, and using a non-certified product in this position will likely make no difference to your ability to achieve certification (assuming appropriate specs otherwise).

@jack

That helps a lot. Obviously for majority of windows they should really  be certified else the penalties would add up. But for the odd awkward one we can negotiate it.

Very helpful input to be heading into detailed design with. Thank you.

Yep the goal is certified EnerPHit. 

• Like 1

When I spoke to Peter Warm, a Passivehause certifier he said not to worry about rooflights if they are in a communal area such as a hall as they are treated differently than if in your bedroom. He didn't have any problem with the two massive triple glazed automated Velux ones that I specified on my build. The Passivehause certified ones only come in smaller sizes, I guess because of the weight. The Velux rooflight didn't cause any issue on the airtest either.

• 3 weeks later...

Our electrically opening one s is from Lamilux (around 60cms square) and is Passivhaus Certified - as is the house as a whole because the plaque arrived in the post today! We also have a big Lamilux roof-light (4m x 5m) but that is non-opening and has an external blind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eileen said:

Our electrically opening one s is from Lamilux (around 60cms square) and is Passivhaus Certified - as is the house as a whole because the plaque arrived in the post today!

Congratulations :).

Have finally done an "introduce yourself" entry, so that's probably a better place to discuss the project than hijacking this thread! Also it's me rather than Eileen that's doing most of the writing as she's too busy doing the landscape..... 

16 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I must be thick or more likley computer illiterate

where are all the pictures  please

If you follow the link above (https://thewalledgardendevon.wordpress.com/ ) and then click on "photos" on the top menu it takes you to a page with a link to a lot of photos.  The direct link to all the photos is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nigpic/sets/72157688294789963 (for all the construction photos) or this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nigpic/sets/72157704667571174

(for all the completed photos).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Strangely didn't see any these replies until now - sorry!)

On 02/04/2019 at 12:31, Alex C said:

When I spoke to Peter Warm, a Passivehause certifier he said not to worry about rooflights if they are in a communal area such as a hall as they are treated differently than if in your bedroom. He didn't have any problem with the two massive triple glazed automated Velux ones that I specified on my build. The Passivehause certified ones only come in smaller sizes, I guess because of the weight. The Velux rooflight didn't cause any issue on the airtest either.

Thanks! I hadn't heard about the difference for communal areas (I thought that was more about shared-use passegeways in apartment blocks, but maybe totally confused!)

On 20/04/2019 at 10:58, Eileen said:

Our electrically opening one s is from Lamilux (around 60cms square) and is Passivhaus Certified - as is the house as a whole because the plaque arrived in the post today! We also have a big Lamilux roof-light (4m x 5m) but that is non-opening and has an external blind.

Thanks - hadn't seen Lamilux before, I'll have a look.

And, congrats on the build. Looks amazing!

• Like 1

Anyone heard of / got experience of "Roof Maker" rooflights & skylights?

Luxlite for pitched roofs

Roof lights overview - inc fancy stuff like  sliding lanterns and a round one

Quoted U values are good, typical best cases in the 0.6 area. Remote control opening and blackout blinds as an option. Targeting the Passive House market. 20 year warranty.  Made in Leicester, UK

What am I missing?

Edited by joth
  • Like 1