NEC Sunday??

I was thinking of going, but to be honest having looked at the list of exhibitors I am not sure it is worth the two hours each way in the car.  There seem to be a lot of timber frame companies and I am probably going brick and block.  Has anyone been, did they find it worthwhile?  What did they see that made it worthwhile?

I am on internal fit out now so looking at other things.

There are about a dozen exhibitors I want to see.

It is only about an hours journey for me.

It is useful for forward planning for windows, MVHR, internal & external finishes & just ideas.

I have free tickets & I am soooooo sick of painting It is a good excuse to have a break.

We have just got home after 2 part days there.  It’s 155 miles away so we did an overnight stay at the premier inn nearby (£40 for the night).

We looked at sewage treatment works and have got down to 2 contenders Bio Pure or a concrete one that will solve issues with our high water table.

Talked to a few MVHR suppliers and ASHP suppliers.  Listened to a few talks.  Spoke to a few warranty companies (AEGIS won’t cover us as there will be no main contractor which was a surprise).  Checked out site insurance and whether they cover our guests being on site or not (yes - public liability insurance covers them).

Glass balustrades for our balconies - one company we overhead the prices he was talking about to another customer and walked away.  Another company was 2/3rd less.

looked at a few window companies - spoke to Internorm and asked about installation issues that seemed quite common (naughty ?)

Found a new window supplier that I hadn’t heard of before - Weru.  German windows that look beautiful and have in-built flyscreens and external blinds as options.  We’ll never be able to afford them but I stroked them lovingly anyway just in case the lottery win happens.

Then looked at a few cladding options.

No wonder we’re a bit tired!

Book your parking tonight if you are going tomorrow.  It is £16 if you pay on the day, £12 if you pay in advance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sue B said:

[...]

We looked at sewage treatment works and have got down to 2 contenders Bio Pure 

[...]

We bought BioPure. Nearly managed to fit it last summer (water table at it's lowest) , dug the hole, popped the digester in it  went off on holiday.

Came back, and there it was bobbing around on the surface like a starboard marker buoy: I hadn't concreted it in place. Eejit.

We'd gone to Scotland - a hot dry week. It'd rained like mad in Lancaster.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Sue B said:

Book your parking tonight if you are going tomorrow.  It is £16 if you pay on the day, £12 if you pay in advance.

Other place to park is the station car park that is £12 a day, just walk through the station concourse.

Hilton hotel car park is also £12 day too. 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Came back, and there it was bobbing around on the surface like a starboard marker buoy: I hadn't concreted it in place. Eejit.

Peter loves the concrete one but we just can’t find the bit of paper with the prices that we wrote on.  It won’t require any concrete to hold it in place which we have to add to the BioPure to compare cost properly (to stop the bobbing bouy scenario).  It also needs a pumping station because of the high water table and the slight incline out to where the discharge pipe will end which comes neatly in the biopure pumped version.  I would go for the Biopure one but he will be digging the hole so more discussions to be had yet.

5 hours ago, Sue B said:

[...]

I would go for the Biopure one but he will be digging the hole so more discussions to be had yet.

I dug our hole wiv me leetle digga. (2.3 tonne)

5 hours ago, Sue B said:

[...]

Peter loves the concrete one [...]  It won’t require any concrete to hold it in place

[...]

Sure? There are plenty of boats that are made from concrete (sometimes called ferrocrete). If it's empty, waterproof, and there's enough water underneath it, it'll float. Promise. Big fat smelly promise.

15 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Sure? There are plenty of boats that are made from concrete (sometimes called ferrocrete). If it's empty, waterproof, and there's enough water underneath it, it'll float. Promise. Big fat smelly promise.

Well if it did float, we’d have a 2 ton submarine tootling down to Christchurch Harbour ??

We’ll just have to make sure we have a wee or two a day to keep it filled !

Edited by Sue B

We haven’t bought our digger yet (apart from my near miss the other day) but he has finally seen the sense in the purchase.  Until yesterday he was convinced that hiring one when needed would be fine. 

Edited by Sue B

21 hours ago, Sue B said:

We looked at sewage treatment works and have got down to 2 contenders Bio Pure or a concrete one that will solve issues with our high water table.

I have not heard of the concrete one.  Any details?  I imagine the extra weight makes install a little harder?

We went for the Conder, concreted into it's hole because of our high water table. Very similar to the Biopure and also based on the air blower principle

9 hours ago, Sue B said:

Peter loves the concrete one but we just can’t find the bit of paper with the prices that we wrote on.  It won’t require any concrete to hold it in place which we have to add to the BioPure to compare cost properly (to stop the bobbing bouy scenario).  It also needs a pumping station because of the high water table and the slight incline out to where the discharge pipe will end which comes neatly in the biopure pumped version.  I would go for the Biopure one but he will be digging the hole so more discussions to be had yet.

Look at the Conder as well, I chose that because it is slightly easier to concrete in than the Biopure.  I think that is also available with an inbuilt pumping system.

Re the floatation issue. That is only an issue when you have it pumped out. In normal use it remains full of "stuff".  At our last house we were badly advised and that has a septic tank set in pea gravel.  That is okay as long as you only ever get it pumped out in summer after a long dry spell when the water table is low, and them immediately refill it with water. That has been done like that every 2 years without problem.

http://treatment-tanks.com/product/waste-water-treatment-tanks-england-wales-uk/

We have sent an email asking for the price again.  The price is a supplied price - they come with a crane to get it on site.  Gravel underneath to get it level and back fill with what came out.  It is a big beastie. The salesman hasn't had his emptied in 4 years apparently FWIW.

Is the Conder easier because it has "legs" to stabilise it while pouring the concrete in so that the concrete holds it in place lower down?  Does that mean the hole has to be bigger as the BioPure hole is smaller at the bottom and steps up looking at the pretty pictures?

Been away for a break and just catching up on here! A bit late now but if you go to the NEC in future have a look what other shows are on at the same time time as self-build ones. This weekend there was a miniatures show on, tickets cost £8.00 bought on the day. You had to go in to get a stamp to get the car park pass so I bought the coffees and my mrs went in, got the stamp and came out again and we got our parking for £8.00 in true Buildhub style, eh @Onoff?

• Haha 1

How does the paying for parking on arrival  work? I pre paid online which cost £12. I arrived from the NW about 09:30 and drove onto the first car park that looked empty as I am fussy where I leave my vehicles. I think it was east A1 car park opposite the rear of hall 12. No gates or barriers and the only other vehicles seemed to be exhibitors from the shows. We left about lunch time and the car park was still empty and again no barriers or people on the booths? feel cheated out of £12 now? Walked past a car park signed home building show with lots of cars waiting to get in.

Regarding the show, can anyone tell me who the company is selling the cork panels and stools? they where at the rear of the halls?

Si