Log Cabin 'Mobile Home' Floor Plan Advice

I would appreciate some advice from the community on this floor plan. I am building a log cabin in accordance with the caravan act in Scotland. The prime purpose is as a holiday rental business and to act as a show log cabin for my development sites. The Scottish size restrictions are a little bit restrictive compared with England - 6.1m x 18.3m. I decided on 200mm round log construction as I feel that it will set it apart in the local market and this achieves BS3632 status (all year round use) which makes it 0% VAT rated... plus it will be a warmer and more comfortable space. The size restriction and wall thickness makes it really difficult for a 3 bedroom cabin layout to work. I did some market research with Scottish Cottages and their best performing properties in the local areas typically have 43 weeks booked occupancy throughout the year and the average yield after their typical 20% fees is £26,000 for a 2 bedroom cabin and £27,000.00 for a 3 bedroom cabin. They suggested that a 2 bedroom cabin is more popular and 3 bedroom cabins typically have twice the wear and tear as 2 families like to stay in them. Sofa beds don't count in the listings, blow up hot tubs don't count etc - they were actually really helpful so that's why I have come up with this design.

The reason the utility and entry hall is placed in that position is because that area (looking out) would eventually have a neighbouring property built on the adjacent plot so there would be no view out of the forest. The end wall sliding doors out of the lounge area will just sneak a sea view (on a clear day) and the lounge and dining room sliding doors will look out onto the forest. 

Feel free to let me know any improvements, I will also be installing a wood fired hot tub and a BBQ hut with adjoining sauna so hopefully it will attract customers with those features!

Log Cabin.png

A few general comments:

I can see why you want the exterior walls that thick, but I would have thought the internal walls would be a lot thinner?

That is going to be a LOT of weight when assembled. To comply as a "caravan" it has to be moveable in one or 2 parts. That is going to be one big crane if you are proposing it can be lifted as one?

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A few general comments:

I can see why you want the exterior walls that thick, but I would have thought the internal walls would be a lot thinner?

That is going to be a LOT of weight when assembled. To comply as a "caravan" it has to be moveable in one or 2 parts. That is going to be one big crane if you are proposing it can be lifted as one?

They could be but I thought it would look really odd if they were thin and take away from the feel of the cabin... I might have to look at this though.

It will be in the region of 30 tons!

Building Control are aware of my plans and I have to provide structural calculations to say it can theoretically be lifted in one piece. The critical part is the timber ring beam so I am trying to find a chartered structural engineer to do the calculations at the moment. I have also planned it in two sections but my manufacturing partner is not 100% comfortable with the idea.

Edited by iSelfBuild

Most residential cabins (caravans) are SIPs construction, maybe this would meet your year round usage requirements and get over the weight issue, you could clad the exterior in local larch or cedar? 

Why the large entrance area, does it need it separate, why not open the front door straight into the lounge?

You could split the log cabin at the internal mid wall and have two 15tonne pieces? 

Edited by Triassic

18 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Most residential cabins (caravans) are SIPs construction, maybe this would meet your year round usage requirements and get over the weight issue, you could clad the exterior in local larch or cedar? 

Why the large entrance area, does it need it separate, why not open the front door straight into the lounge?

You could split the log cabin at the internal mid wall and have two 15tonne pieces? 

Don't really want to go down the SIPS route as I have bought in to a log cabin company and this is going to be a show cabin also. It's widely done elsewhere at the moment and building control say as long as it can theoretically be lifted then they are happy.

The entrance is a boot room and pretty critical as the local area is a tourist trap for walkers, holiday makers with wet smelly dogs and mountain bikers.

Yep already have a set of plans split down the middle but my business partner who has 10 years experience building cabins is not so keen on the idea in round log.

1 hour ago, Sue B said:

If you mention holiday let anywhere, I don’t believe that you can claim the vat back.  VAT is only zero or reclaimable on self builds for living in, not businesses?

This isn't through building control thus isn't eligible for VAT reclaims. The 0% VAT rating is applicable to the sale of caravans conforming to BS3632. If it only conforms to the EN standards it is 5% rated.

• Like 1