Board concrete form moulds

K78

1 hour ago, Temp said:

These tiles might be an option...

https://tile.expert/en-gb/tile/Energieker/Formwork

I'm on my phone at the moment and it's hard to see the images but they look like tiles intended to produce the shuttered effect.

I stumbled across this site http://www.imi-beton.co.uk/surfaces/concrete?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxMG3l9Ks4QIVUOJ3Ch3AEwp0EAAYASAAEgKn5PD_BwE

No doubt crazy expensive. 

The product in the pic looks good though. 

72E90EE4-CCA3-43D2-92E4-2F2AE93F4508.png

Edited by K78

Gravel board moulds with that finish probably exist too, and could be made up by your local fence place at a tenner each, perhaps with holes for bolts.

It would redefine the meaning of "industrial style concrete finish".

But I am not sure I would want a wall surface of gravel boards, just from a "what if one fell off" point of view.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Temp said:

Just to add to my post above... Googling formwork tiles finds there are quite a few makes.

They are definitely an option, and not as expensive as the were. 

Im going to experiment this week. I’m going to make a mould like in this video. But line the bottom with reclaimed pallet wood before I pour the concrete.  I’ll add coconut fibre to the mix and go 1” thick. 

It’s worth a try. If it’s awful it my satisfy my curiosity and I’ll move onto something else. 

Edited by K78

• 1 month later...

@Luckylad if that pic is your result then excellent, could you please expand on your ‘push’ and you ‘render’.....stuff like the render mix, how soon after application did you push the wood on, did you just push and release or keep it in place, if so how long, any release agent on the timber, etc?

thanks

Glad you like it, I’m not sure why all of the photo didn’t upload.

We mix the render scratch coat to a ratio of 4 sand/1 cement/half hydrated lime . The top coat we mix 6 sand/1 cement/1 hydrated lime.Half a mug full of wickes waterproofer in each mix, whether its scratch coat 12/3/1.5 or  topcoat 12/2/2. Large handful of reinforcement fibre in the scratch coat and 75% less in the topcoat. The sand is 50% soft washed plastering sand and 50% sharp sand.

Rule it off and rub it up quickly.When we’re Pargetting we start tapping the moulds with the butt of a large pointing trowel into the wet render as soon as possible.  Speed is of the essence. That piece of wood in the photo is straight in one direction but curved the other way,so I could almost roll out the imprint .

We’ve never used mould release oil,just being abit cautious about how masonry paint would stick to it. I mostly use a dry rag to rub the mould when sticky or dip it in a bag of kiln dried sand ,the type they use for block paving.

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2019 at 18:53, Luckylad said:

Hi

I like the idea20190522_110727(0).thumb.jpg.c1c343d503cd6c9410f6db41e00625c6.jpg of what you’re trying to achieve. I picked up some timber from the skip at work and pushed it into my render. Don’t know if that’s the appearance that you are after.

Great result. That’s pretty much it. 

I want a bit more colour variation. 

7 hours ago, K78 said:

Great result. That’s pretty much it. 

I want a bit more colour variation. 

How would you get colour variation with a single colour mix?

I did some imprinted concrete years ago, mock block paving if you like, about 12'x12'. Mixed the concrete and it was the colour of ketchup. Let it go off and imprinted it with a homemade mould. I then dipped an old broom head in black dye and "flecked" the whole area. The finishing touch was to run along all the mock mortar joints with a half inch paint brush. The flecks of black dye in the joints were enough to colour the joints one single colour. Still looks good nearly 30 years later.

Will try and find a pic.

Edit: Found the pics. From memory I chambered the timber beads that formed the joints and used WD40 to coat the imprint board - the side of an old wardrobe:

bs_1

bs_2

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1