Why do internal doors have handles?

ultramods

I am now at the stage of choosing door handles. As I am trying to achieve a minimalist (all doors will be flush matt white) look I was wondering why does everyone still use traditional door handles.

What are people's thoughts on using flush push/pull with magnetic catches instead of normal door handles?

BTW I would get a push plate with no writing on it

77279846_doorhandles.thumb.png.0529b759ff6c25148e6b8c0c651ed746.png

Edited by ultramods
  • Like 1

Dont do it. You will feel like you are living in the stationery cupboard of a large office.

I have some of those exact pull handles on a couple of 2.4m high cupboard doors. There is no way I would want them on a door I was opening all the time.

Edited by Alex C
  • Thanks 1

Agree with @Alex C  I have minimal circular fittings on pocket door  - its a pain, I hate it.  I have magnetic catches on my regular doors with what in appearance look like conventional handles but of course I don't have the little bit that goes in and out to close (what is it called!) My handles just have a slight touch down to release magnets and open, to close just push or pull no need to depress handle.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ultramods said:

I am now at the stage of choosing door handles. As I am trying to achieve a minimalist (all doors will be flush matt white) look I was wondering why does everyone still use traditional door handles.

What are people's thoughts on using flush push/pull with magnetic catches instead of normal door handles?

BTW I would get a push plate with no writing on it

77279846_doorhandles.thumb.png.0529b759ff6c25148e6b8c0c651ed746.png

You need handles so your dog can open doors! All joking aside, a couple of observations from different handle arrangements, handle-less doors can end up quite dirty as people always seem to create a dirty zone around things like light switches etc. The other thing is if you are carying stuff, you can often get an elbow onto an handle push it down and nudge it open, possibly not with the grab handle type. They look smart for sure, probably better in an all adult or teens household.

Edited by Carrerahill

4 minutes ago, ultramods said:

I taught my last dog to open door handles

It can be quite handy! Our dog will bring you things, if my wife is in the kitchen and I need matches for the stove for example, she can send him through with them. Or if I am upstairs and she wants to send me something she will give it to him and say take that to dad and he appears all happy with himself. 

Our border collie could open doors but only if you were not looking. Shut various doors in the house, come back and he would have opened them all en-route to the bed! If he wanted out the a room and you were there he would sit and look at it till you opened it for him. He was not daft.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

It can be quite handy! Our dog will bring you things, if my wife is in the kitchen and I need matches for the stove for example, she can send him through with them. Or if I am upstairs and she wants to send me something she will give it to him and say take that to dad and he appears all happy with himself. 

Our border collie could open doors but only if you were not looking. Shut various doors in the house, come back and he would have opened them all en-route to the bed! If he wanted out the a room and you were there he would sit and look at it till you opened it for him. He was not daft.

my door opening dog was also a border collie.

16 minutes ago, ultramods said:

my door opening dog was also a border collie.

Smart dogs eh!

He, was a rescue dog from just outside Edinburgh, he was the kindest most loving animal and behaved so well. Dog's deserve longer lives.

• Like 2

I don't have flush handles on room doors, I have them on a couple of sliding wardrobe doors and they don't feel nice compared to a normal handle.

However, for the minimalist look I do have magnetic catches and concealed door hinges. So I don't have any visible furniture other than a handle when a door is closed, I think it looks much better.

It adds around £50 a door in cost.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AliG said:

I don't have flush handles on room doors, I have them on a couple of sliding wardrobe doors and they don't feel nice compared to a normal handle.

However, for the minimalist look I do have magnetic catches and concealed door hinges. So I don't have any visible furniture other than a handle when a door is closed, I think it looks much better.

It adds around £50 a door in cost.

I was looking at concealed hinges, however they were a lot more than £50 per door. Do you know which ones have been used on your doors?

Boo going by the responses it looks like function wins over form.

in that case I think it will be this handle in brushed steel, with magnetic catches and hopefully concealed hinges (if budget allows)

Thank you for all the responses.

744906479_doorhandles.png.871f062a0399cf4a143945f73c26f9e3.png

"SWMBO nearly ripped the bloody door handle off when she yanked it shut after me!"

Becomes "SWMBO broke a nail in the piddly flush plate trying to yank the door shut after me"!"

Doesn't really convey the heat of the moment does it?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

"SWMBO nearly ripped the bloody door handle off when she yanked it shut after me!"

Becomes "SWMBO broke a nail in the piddly flush plate trying to yank the door shut after me"!"

Doesn't really convey the heat of the moment does it?

are you suggesting flush handles could improve her behavior? ;) 

1 hour ago, ultramods said:

are you suggesting flush handles could improve her behavior? ;) 

God no! Think about it, she had the hump over whatever imagined slight that caused her to slam the door in the first place. Now she's broken a nail too that'll be your fault as well!

I have these Eurospec Ceam hinges.

You can get them for around £17 each ex VAT here, a little more if you need fire proof or heavier duty ones. 

These were by far the best value I could find.

https://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/concealed_hinges/

These are the magnetic latches that I have.

https://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/excel-hardware-precision-bolt-through-magnetic-tubular-latch-18364/

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AliG said:

You can get them for around £17 each ex VAT here, a little more if you need fire proof or heavier duty ones. 

https://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/excel-hardware-precision-bolt-through-magnetic-tubular-latch-18364/

Thanks those are a lot cheaper than I had found.

7 hours ago, AliG said:

Those concealed hinges look incredible. Never knew they existed.

11 hours ago, lizzie said:

Agree with @Alex C  I have minimal circular fittings on pocket door  - its a pain, I hate it.  I have magnetic catches on my regular doors with what in appearance look like conventional handles but of course I don't have the little bit that goes in and out to close (what is it called!) My handles just have a slight touch down to release magnets and open, to close just push or pull no need to depress handle.

Latch 

keeper

striker

spring bit...

• Thanks 1