PP.. don't understand!

zoothorn

Hi guys,

I want to build a 4.5m x 3.5m block box + roof + cladding. I cannot understand whether or not I need PP. I have the PP portal page (thanks Onoff).. but I just cannot understand the wording: I'm awful at deciphering these 'points' & get stressed.

Please can someone help?

Thanks, zoot.

Ok appreciate the link r....i. Clearer, but its still the 4m height/ 2m from road, distance from house, &/ or what exactly a boundary is (road edge?).. I find complicated.

Council offices.. I was thhinking here might have been a better place to ask, but I will go in & see if any building officer in. Doubt it.. they'll just pass me back onto the PP portal site I'm sure.

I was wondering if I could add a photo of my area in Q, & someone could help. Many of the 'boxes' I can tick though.. like adjacent to house, floor area are ok.

15 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Building (control) officers don't deal with planning. You want a planner for this.

This is where I find it confusing- building regs, building officers, planning permission, planners.

But I'm not likely, to get a planner to come here.. or, to present him/her with photos.. in order to establish exactly what I need.

Its the simplest of builds, a block box, & thought I might be able to get some answers in this dedicated PP section of the forum.

10 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I was wondering if I could add a photo of my area in Q, & someone could help. Many of the 'boxes' I can tick though.. like adjacent to house, floor area are ok.

Yes, post a photo as it’s too hard to envisage without. 

Was the plan that @PeterW posted on the other thread your house? If so post it here too and show where you want the workshop to go. 

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

Yes, post a photo as it’s too hard to envisage without. 

Was the plan that @PeterW posted on the other thread your house? If so post it here too and show where you want the workshop to go. 

Yep 

@zoothorn isn’t this the area ..??

D639BC88-3CF1-497C-9691-03A28B0484D9.thumb.jpeg.c64a47c6c0cebc912b3942fd84347508.jpeg

from what I can work out, you have planning permission to put a box on the top end of that shaded box in the bottom end. 

You can pretty much put anything you want in the area that has the red/yellow dotted outline. Shed / garage / workshop is fine, keep 2m from the boundary and keep the ridge below 3m. Up to 30sqm you don’t need planning or building regs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Up to 30sqm you don’t need planning or building regs. 

As long as it’s not attached to the house presumably? Does it have to be a set distance away? 

Morning guys- @PeterW great help! yes that's my yellow sausage (& I'm alot more endowed there too).

Right, now down at the 'balls' end, I've got PP for an extention. Why not put it up along my shaft?! I hear you say spitting rice krispies over your keypoard.. well bc I've an 80's extention/ kitchen, then lawn.. then shaft to tip is very tricky ~unstable area (45* slope across).

Photos of area in Q. So, on my yerrow sausage its onto the -south- end, the lowest side (so twds my butth*le).

The canes are approx corners, so, it needs to tuck right up to the 2m-from-road (just behind hedge) at this LH corner.

004.JPG

001.JPG

005.JPG

Am I allowed to build onto this obvious house wall (as my extention was going to be).. or does it have to be separate?

If separate, does the roof (nearest bit to house) have to be a certain distance from house here anyone know?

@PeterW I must have missed you posting this map before.. on another thread? and that is by far the best/ biggest image Ive seen (the one I paid for from wherever it is, would've been a tiny lentil-size in comparison.. with same-size red lines as yours/ hopeless.

Where got from? really appreciated btw.

3 hours ago, jfb said:

max height is 4m for dual pitched roof (and max 2.5m at eaves) if more than 2m from boundary and max 3m for mono pitch roof. Max height is 2.5m within 2m of boundary.

Sorry if this seems obvious to all, bar me.. but "Max height is 2.5m within 2m of boundary." so this means that if I dip into the 2m area between me & the road (in my case- I assume the road is my boundary/ the only side of contention, in my plan).. the whole structure cannot be above 2.5m high?

I thought that you simply -couldn't- build within 2m of any boundary. So I wonder why this wording?

And can anyone tell me exactly where a road boundary precisely is? IE where tarmac meets verge, where tarmac extends (say 10") under verge a bit bit.. IE does it incorporate any, even one inch of the verge?

Boundary is the bit you own - so if you have a hedge its usually measured from the middle of this.

A duo-pitch roof can rise at 45 degrees or steeper to a maximum of 4m as long as the eaves are no more than 2.5m at the 2m boundary.

The quickest way to work out what you can build where is get a garden cane 2m long and a can of cheap spray paint. Walk round the garden, every few feet just poke one end the end of the cane at the boundary and mark the other end. You'll end up with a dotted outline of where you can build what you want.

If you start building outside the 2m exclusion zone then it affects the materials you use - they have to  be non-combustible. Inside the zone you can build with whatever you want. Up to 30sqm (that is external and a 5x6m building is BIG) then its no building regs either...

Yes you can build within 2m of boundary though I think building control comes up and if building in timber needs to be 1m (2?) from boundary whereas block/brick can go right up to boundary.

I missed looking at your map - there are further complications when boundaries are near roads: I think you can't build any extension or outbuilding within 3.5m of a boundary if the boundary backs onto a road (under permitted development). I assume the definition of boundary is the edge of your property not the road itself.

Edited by jfb

Ok now I'm in the middle of the confusion. Boundaries, roads, this 2m figure.. & from where it is measured from. I need to establish this.

Ok as you can see, my house is in the crux of two b-roads (single-lane). The lower one can be discounted, I'm far enough away from this, as can be the junction. They're both quiet minimal traffic, with passing places etc. Which leaves the nearest one, the upper one. It is from here, relative to my nearest corner lof build (the btm LHS cane in my photo) I need to establish.

My PP accepted plan, was pretty much to the very same corner point. So can I not simplify this confusion.. by saying if it was ok to build to this point within the agreed PP, it must be ok to build (my smaller) my separated-from-house box with simple roof etc, to this corner point too?

In my 1st photo, its the cane highest in the photo I'm talking about.. to the left of the barrow. In my 2nd photo, its sticking out my car top (in 3rd pic its stuck in the sticks, the second cane along LtoR).

The barrow's wheel, is approximately the other 'top' corner point. So joining these = my back wall.. ~parrallel to road just over the hedge.

The slightly near-to-the-road of the two corners.. is the cane. The whole build rests on establishing the -maximum- I am allowed, to push this point twds the hedge.

22 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Hi guys,

I want to build a 4.5m x 3.5m block box + roof + cladding. I cannot understand whether or not I need PP. I have the PP portal page (thanks Onoff).. but I just cannot understand the wording: I'm awful at deciphering these 'points' & get stressed.

Please can someone help?

Thanks, zoot.

Planning documentation can be a bit bamboozling, especially since it is largely written in construction industry language that it's always clear to those not in the game. I would happily explain it to you but, I don't know your exact circumstance and don't want to advise you blindly, you build something, then you end up with issues.

My advice would be simple, get a location map of your plot, draw or sketch it out on the plan with dimensions, email it over to planning and ask. They are usually very helpful, might take a week or so for a reply but if they say no, with that email you also have an audit trail.

Hi Carrerahill, I've tried to get a location map.. but useless cos its so small scale. PeterW's very kind addition/ map above (where is this from??) is better as its alot larger (I printed & went into my council offices with it today, but the PP dept is in another town 25m away alas).. but even this scale isn't exactly ideal for establishing the precise location of this one corner relative to the road behind

I just want to try & cut through the spiel, which I get bamboozled on/ knickers in a twist, to see the answer. Its there. To you guys who understand it, its there quite plain to see I'm quite sure & you probavly think I can see it too/ I'm just thick.. but believe me my head hurts trying to understand it/ get the answer. I wonder if I could just get someone to help explain.

Basically, its either A) my cane corner point (or prolly a bit extra of roof overhang here to consider) can be 2m from the road.. because my build is block based.

B) it cannot be 2m, it has to be Xm.

Tbh I don't want to even approach PP or especially building regs, as I just cannot cope with understanding what they say, ie on the phone/ its just a language I'm not used to & I get confused, stressed, & give up. I must plough on.. & find this answer, on this site. Also as its gonna be a small well damped for sound box, which I'll do one quarter of my work in (the woodwork of ampcabmaking, only a few hrs total a week).. I don't want -any- chance either of these depts scuppering my build due to this. I want them just to be away/ no interference/ no need to know.

24 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

've tried to get a location map.. but useless cos its so small scale. PeterW's very kind addition/ map above (where is this from??) is better as its alot larger (I printed & went into my council offices with it today, but the PP dept is in another town 25m away alas).. but even this scale isn't exactly ideal for establishing the precise location of this one corner relative to the road behind

It is from the graphical display of Planning History in the interactive map in the Planning Section of the Council website.

You get to it by searching for a PP in your postcode area or street, then selecting the map display, or possibly via a service such as My Council which will talk about council services to your address.

They usually have somewhat-buried tick box options for displaying various Layers of data.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Christ this is so complicated. When my AH*le n'bors stack up & 3 of them call highways to complain about a hedge on the midpoint of the roads around me making a 'Y' shape (just to get at me.. not bc its wrong) highways come out 3x, causing me stress, for "we've had another complaint re. your hedge" visits (they agree nowt wrong, had to come/ keep it trimmed/ your fine). The reason I mention this is bc this fkn hedge is -my- property, from highways pov.. as are the hedges I trim on the upper road. Clearly my flippin hedges, no-one else's, not highways thats for sure. In fact I asked the same chap who visits 3x, when he was doing manual clearing work weeks later near me, where a road ends/ where one's property starts btw?.. & tap tap he went a few inches off the tarmac, just on the verge.." there" he said.

So, if this is the division between road/ highway's property > & the start of my property, then logic dictates that this must also surely denote the boundary-line. I cannot see any other rational, logical determination. There cannot be a 'no man's land' grey area between. It makes no sense.

This sole 1m let's call it difference, makes a MASSIVE difference to me/ my property/ & my future too.. because of the pencil-thin width of my property. This is why I make a thread to try & establish where my 'top' corner point can max go.

Edited by zoothorn