Changing the name of your house

I realise this is probably not the right place to post my new query, but I have no clue where better to ask.  Please would the forum elders/moderators move my query to the right place, just tell me where!

Has anybody done this?

I remember reading somewhere that this is possible and that there's a procedure to follow, but it was a newspaper article in maybe a Sunday glossy, not something that came up during our research for the new home project. 

Any advice would be most welcome or pointers of where to seek advice.

Thank you.

DHDreamer

Your local council is the place - their Naming and Shaming Department.

Guessing (from your screen name) here's Folkestone's DC's   Street Naming Department

And this is the search string (search terms) I put into Google (plenty of other search engines available) to find it

change house name kent.gov.uk

Good luck

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  Much appreciated.  I bit of further research indicates that once the job is done, we should also notify Royal Mail as, although the council should do that, they don't do it promptly.  Will speak to our postie as well, when it happens.

Now just trying to figure out when to do this, timing wise, to cause minimum confusion to all who need to know.  Our situation is a tad complicated in that we wish to actually keep our existing house name by swapping it to the new building and giving the existing house a brand new name.  Not really because we love the house name but there's a tenuous family link in the name the house we bought already had, plus it's the address everybody knows we live at, having lived here over 21 years.

It was our dealings and a recent meeting with UK Power Networks that set a train of thought in place - but as all we have is a muddy mess, I don't think it needs a name yet beyond something out of Winnie the Pooh (and owing to where my car ends up, I've become Stig of the Dump)!  ?

Back to more 'googling' on yet more tenuous home related topics.

DHDreamer

1 hour ago, DreamHouseDreamer said:

Now just trying to figure out when to do this, timing wise, to cause minimum confusion to all who need to know.  Our situation is a tad complicated in that we wish to actually keep our existing house name by swapping it to the new building and giving the existing house a brand new name. ... 

Here be Dragons. 

Our situation is a tad complicated in that we wish to actually keep our existing house name by swapping it to the new building and giving the existing house a brand new name.  Not really because we love the house name but there's a tenuous family link in the name the house we bought already had, plus it's the address everybody knows we live at, having lived here over 21 years.

My guess is you will have no problem re naming the existing house, but when you try to name the new one with the old name, it will be refused as "already used"

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  Much appreciated.  I bit of further research indicates that once the job is done, we should also notify Royal Mail as, although the council should do that, they don't do it promptly.  Will speak to our postie as well, when it happens.

Now just trying to figure out when to do this, timing wise, to cause minimum confusion to all who need to know.  Our situation is a tad complicated in that we wish to actually keep our existing house name by swapping it to the new building and giving the existing house a brand new name.  Not really because we love the house name but there's a tenuous family link in the name the house we bought already had, plus it's the address everybody knows we live at, having lived here over 21 years.

That is Cruisin' for a 20 Year Confusin', IMO.

In addition to our house being called something 'orrible that we can't get rid of, despite having solemn promises from the Council on a number of occasions over 5 years.

Our neighbour has also been trying to get his address adjusted after having looked into why we get  most of his Pizzas and a lot of his deliveries.

It turned out that the Post Office had my 5 bedroom detached house, and his 2 bedroom detached house (built on a slice of our garden in 1988), described as a pair of flats in a single structure. No idea why. It took about 10 communications to the Post Office and 18 months to fix it.

That may be why there was such utter confusion when I changed my electricity supplier. They moved next door instead, and that took a year to sort out. 

If you a re messing around with names to this extent, I reckon it will take more elapsed time than building it in the first place.

Ferdinand

Our situation is a tad complicated in that we wish to actually keep our existing house name by swapping it to the new building and giving the existing house a brand new name.

Friends of ours tried to do that and it took them ages to get it finally sorted out. From their experience, which was near Deal in Kent, I would change the existing house name first, well before starting the new build. I would then give the new house the old name.

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.  I realise I've opened a can of worms here. 

As the demolished building never had a letter box, we always got the post for there anyway.  I want want the bills of the existing house following us to the new house though.  Heating bills are horrendous, it's just one of many reasons we want a new, thermally efficient house.

DHDreamer