Aldi paint sprayer - £40 well spent

Weebles

After rolling paint in one room I realised my shoulders weren’t going to make it. So I invested in this Aldi paint sprayer.  It’s not an industrial one so coverage is only marginally quicker than a roller. But you don’t have to keep dipping into a tray and there are no streaks. And it’s brilliant for applying a mist coat onto fresh plaster where the ceilings and walls have the same paint. 

Best £40 I spent in a long time. Progress much quicker now and my shoulders are surviving.

Takes about 5-10 mins to clean it for the next use. Took a few mins to get used to the ‘controls’. 

Still available online and free delivery.  

Still reckon we have 8 weeks of painting ahead of us. 1-2 hours a night after work just isn’t enough. But I love my spray gun?

15ED06A8-6D77-446A-80BE-33C86FAD5B8C.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

Sounds good. Wish I'd had one when I did my place!

Are there limitations on what type of paint you can put in it? e.g. waterbased only?

So far I am only using Matt emulsion, slightly watered down. And for that I am using the largest nozzle size. So I suspect it may struggle with some paints.  Soon I will be testing it on no not watered-down top coat emulsion. We’ll see. There is a really tiny nozzle which may well be able to be used for varnish? 

3 hours ago, Crofter said:

[...]Are there limitations on what type of paint you can put in it? e.g. waterbased only?

Look at Peter Millard's reviews (link above). Key points:

• the paint needs to be very thoroughly mixed (nay lumps Jimmie)
  • cleanliness is next to godliness.

3 hours ago, Crofter said:

Sounds good. Wish I'd had one when I did my place!

Are there limitations on what type of paint you can put in it? e.g. waterbased only?

So far I am only using Matt emulsion, slightly watered down. And for that I am using the largest nozzle size. So I suspect it may struggle with some paints.  Soon I will be testing it on no not watered-down top coat emulsion. We’ll see. There is a really tiny nozzle which may well be able to be used for varnish? 

51 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

My paint is pretty well mixed but only with a stick of ply (no whisk on a drill yet - might need that for top coat emulsion)

As @recoveringacademic points out, it must be clean to work. I am taking it apart and cleaning it religiously with hot water (sometimes washing up liquid too) after each use. Even if I down tools for an hour it doesn’t perform as well for the rest of the day. Luckily I am only doing 2 hour stints in the evenings. For me it’s worth £40 even if it just does the mist coat (2 coats on each wall - 10 rooms plus hallway)

I need to redecorate a few areas this summer as the original paint has now got a bit grubby and knocked after 2 1/2 years of living in it!

Does this have the same splatter issue as rollers? That's my main concern, protecting the floor etc.

I have just been using the Lidl machine. Unfortunately, the airless sprayer I was using seems to be blocked and I'll need assistance with that. I'm on a tight schedule with painting this week and noticed the Lidl sprayer yesterday so I dashed out and got one. It's a brilliant little machine for the money. I can only get one nozzle size to spray, even with thinned contract matt, but one nozzle is better than none!

I've just sprayed the landing walls and ceiling and the top part of the stairwell hole. The result is just as good as with the larger machine, but you do have to do frequent refills of the reservoir and I don't know how it would cope with vinyl emulsion. I'm tempted to give it a go, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

My paint is pretty well mixed but only with a stick of ply (no whisk on a drill yet - might need that for top coat emulsion)

As @recoveringacademic points out, it must be clean to work. I am taking it apart and cleaning it religiously with hot water (sometimes washing up liquid too) after each use. Even if I down tools for an hour it doesn’t perform as well for the rest of the day. Luckily I am only doing 2 hour stints in the evenings. For me it’s worth £40 even if it just does the mist coat (2 coats on each wall - 10 rooms plus hallway)

8 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

I need to redecorate a few areas this summer as the original paint has now got a bit grubby and knocked after 2 1/2 years of living in it!

Does this have the same splatter issue as rollers? That's my main concern, protecting the floor etc.

Less splatter than a roller. There is some element of control over volume coming out. But you can get close to edges without spraying over the edge. So going up to the underside of a window cill (with no cill at present) ends up spraying the window. It has quite some reach, I reckon 2m for odd bits that go astray. But if you are just spraying a wall, it’s brilliant. Use a roller / brush for the bits requiring accuracy. It doesn’t drip onto the floor which is good. So @Bitpipe your floor should be safe. Prob best with a bit of plastic anyway though.....Refill it somewhere off your floor too.

that Lidl one seems like an even better deal. Same sort of kit. Wish I’d seen that and saved £15 ? I am sure the Aldi one will have the same issue @vivienz notes ie only one nozzle works for paint - the biggest one. 

31 minutes ago, Weebles said:

Less splatter than a roller. There is some element of control over volume coming out. But you can get close to edges without spraying over the edge. So going up to the underside of a window cill (with no cill at present) ends up spraying the window. It has quite some reach, I reckon 2m for odd bits that go astray. But if you are just spraying a wall, it’s brilliant. Use a roller / brush for the bits requiring accuracy. It doesn’t drip onto the floor which is good. So @Bitpipe your floor should be safe. Prob best with a bit of plastic anyway though.....Refill it somewhere off your floor too.

that Lidl one seems like an even better deal. Same sort of kit. Wish I’d seen that and saved £15 ? I am sure the Aldi one will have the same issue @vivienz notes ie only one nozzle works for paint - the biggest one. 

Might need to sneak out and buy one then :)

The Aldi ones looks better. It's more powerful withh 500W rather than the Lidl machine's 400W. It also has an extra paint reservoir and more nozzles.

The Lidl one will do, but it gives a much more textured finish than a more powerful machine, also having to constantly refill the reservoir is a pain.

On 29/03/2019 at 20:54, Oz07 said:

Bought this on the reccomendations this week. Got a bungalow to mist coat this has got to be easier. Any tips for a newb?

Ceilings are 2.6 high will I need a hopup or ok from standing height?

I'm fresh from mist coating using the Lidl machine.  You need to get the nozzle a lot closer for ceilings as gravity has a noticeable effect on the ability to spray directly upwards.  I needed to use a step ladder to get close enough to get a decent coat on the ceiling, but I'm only 5'4", so you may have a longer reach and be okay with a hop up.  Even on the vertical walls, I found that you need to be relatively close.

You need to get the hang of making sure you hold the machine at 90 degrees to the surface you are spraying - it becomes very inefficient if you're even marginally off this, so learn to be flexible with your wrists.  I found it to be hard work on my wrists, but it's perfectly doable.  Don't worry about the nozzle getting blocked - it's quick and easy to clean out.  30 seconds will do it, with the brush and pokey thing that it comes supplied with.

You will need to dilute your paint down, as per the instructions, to be sure that it runs freely through the cup that indicates viscosity.  I chucked my contract white into a standard bucket, diluted as much as necessary and poured it into the machine reservoir direct from the bucket.  If the paint is freshly opened and the bucket is clean, I found that there was no splatting or blocking.  If you leave the paint overnight and it forms a bit of a skin, these bits will splat.  However, they were easy enough to sand once dried and I figured that was much quicker than straining endless litres of paint.

Finally, get yourself a respirator.  Not one of the nasty little chuck away masks, but a respirator with a filter.  And wear it.  You will get a nasty headache if you breathe paint fumes for a day.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well did the bungalow throughout. It is so much quicker than traditional way. Didn't have to mask down either as windows still yet to be changed. I think I should have diluted a bit more as while the cup to test viscosity was provided it just said 100 DIN/sec. Whats that mean?

However I can probably go round with the pole sander over everything. It will have still saved me time even after that. I set plank runs up in rooms to do ceilings and high level walls.

All in all an OK piece of kit for the money, saved me some time BUT would likely pay a professional in future if the money was right (£250 for standard ish sized house I hear, mist coat all around plus extra coat on ceilings)

• Like 1