Underfloor Heating and Gas boiler

Tony99

Are there any precautions/tips for having underfloor heating with a gas boiler?

Our village is on gas so we want our new build to have that service. Any advice on whether a combo boiler or system boiler might be best-mainly 2 of us in the house with visiting family occasionally, so not that common to need to run 2 showers/baths at the same time. 

We are also looking at PV solar panels-not that economical now it seems but something we feel would be good in the medium/long term especially as I am thinking of getting a small electric car in the next 2 years or so.

Advice very welcome!

Tony

So that sounds like a nice setup for a UVC with small buffer, or dare I say it a thermal store.... 

If you can get a UVC with a twin coil - 300 litres would be more than adequate - and then switch the tank from top coil to bottom coil when there are more than 2 of you in the house. 

Well insulated house design ..??? Go for a smaller boiler and run it flat out for DHW, but modulate right down for the UFH. 

@Nickfromwales... thoughts ..?

• Like 1

We have a 150 mtrs of UFH on the ground floor Three baths and showers We installed a system boiler with a Gledhill cylinder 

Absolutely brilliant Cheap to run 

We have radiators upstairs But with all the insulation and heat rising from the ground floor 

Weve only used them once to test them 

Like you There is only two of us rattling around in a big house 

• Like 1

I have a vaillant mains gas boiler (system)  running ufh (approx 180sqm) and dhw, I have a small pressurised tank that is part of boiler ufh set up.  I have a large Vaillant hot water cylinder (I think its unvented as I also have a smaller expansion vessel).  I only heat the water for an hour a day and its more than enough. There are just 2 of us. Can look out details if of interest.

On 26/03/2019 at 21:54, PeterW said:

So that sounds like a nice setup for a UVC with small buffer, or dare I say it a thermal store.... 

If you can get a UVC with a twin coil - 300 litres would be more than adequate - and then switch the tank from top coil to bottom coil when there are more than 2 of you in the house. 

Well insulated house design ..??? Go for a smaller boiler and run it flat out for DHW, but modulate right down for the UFH. 

@Nickfromwales... thoughts ..?

Thanks for the advice...yes it will be well insulated, air tight etc. I hadn’t actually heard of a thermal store ? but have now done bit of reading about it and although I am now more aware of the various options, it is also more confusing! I presume a thermal store will keep its heat overnight? Just thinking of needing hot water in the mornings in the winter when the sun isn’t out yet.  

On 26/03/2019 at 21:55, nod said:

We have radiators upstairs But with all the insulation and heat rising from the ground floor 

Weve only used them once to test them 

We were thinking the same- not having UFH upstairs and just using eg heated towel rails in the bathrooms...do you have MVHR? I understand that although it doesn’t heat the house as such, the distribution of heat in a well insulated, air tight house means that often little heating is needed upstairs. 

46 minutes ago, Tony99 said:

We were thinking the same- not having UFH upstairs and just using eg heated towel rails in the bathrooms...do you have MVHR? I understand that although it doesn’t heat the house as such, the distribution of heat in a well insulated, air tight house means that often little heating is needed upstairs. 

No we don’t have MV

We have a large hall and landing and the UFH heats the upstairs 

We spent a bit on three full height stainless towel rails for the bathrooms Exspensive decoration 

In reality I don’t think we will ever use them 

-6 over Christnas 

We had the UFH on at 22 but still had to open windows in the bedrooms 

We were tempted to add a MV system Not a great deal of extra cost 

But a friend of ours complains about outside smells circulating around his house 

So we decided not to