Which channels can be accessed on Roku?

A simple question, I hope .. can I watch the normal BBC1 etc TV channels live via a Roku stick or box?

The information does not seem to be very consistent as to whether that can be done or not.

I plan to get one to experiment, as I am about to move off Virgin, and the satellite or wired options do not seem attractive.

Cheers

Ferdinand

We've got a Firestick for home, and a Roku stick in the wee cottage.

I haven't used the Roku all that much myself, but it seems slicker and less glitchy than the (now 3 year old) Firestick.

With both devices, you download various different 'apps' to access content. They are really just Android powered devices and if you are used to using a smartphone then it will seem fairly logical.

So you can download the BBC iPlayer app and access all BBC content that way, and of course ITV, C4 etc have their own apps.

On the Roku there is a Youtube app, whilst on the Firestick you have to go via the web browser app since Amazon and Google had a falling out.

2 minutes ago, Crofter said:

We've got a Firestick for home, and a Roku stick in the wee cottage.

I haven't used the Roku all that much myself, but it seems slicker and less glitchy than the (now 3 year old) Firestick.

With both devices, you download various different 'apps' to access content. They are really just Android powered devices and if you are used to using a smartphone then it will seem fairly logical.

So you can download the BBC iPlayer app and access all BBC content that way, and of course ITV, C4 etc have their own apps.

On the Roku there is a Youtube app, whilst on the Firestick you have to go via the web browser app since Amazon and Google had a falling out.

Cheers. I have already bought the Roku for that reason, since it will be used by an 80 year old.

I have however found that the enter-your-email bit is clunky, having used my long email address as the account name on the website ?.

Ferdinand

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

Errr .... ?

Nothing except Sky News afaics. There may be purchasable options available.

The interface has the feel of all modern interfaces ... you have been dropped into a maze with no map so you have to explore the content from below, though the voice interface is good. It seems to be straightforward to use and responsive, though - I would recommend it over my old Chromecast.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

You can access more Sky content via Sky Store & Now TV Apps.

Really like the Roku boxes, got 2x express and one stick, they all 'just work' and support all the on-demand services. Use them more than linear TV these days.

• Thanks 1

@Ferdinand To rearrange channels, select what you want to move (i.e so it has the white box around it) then press the * button on the remote. It will bring up a menu with a move option.

For yesterday and really - catch up is available via the UKTV Play app and live I think is via the TVPlayer app (subscription may be required)

Seems UKTV have just pulled thier channels from TVPlayer according to https://support.tvplayer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025349832-CHANNEL-CHANGES-UKTV-Channels-no-longer-on-TVPlayer

Edited by MrMagic
Updated UKTV
  • Thanks 1

On 28/03/2019 at 09:05, MrMagic said:

@Ferdinand To rearrange channels, select what you want to move (i.e so it has the white box around it) then press the * button on the remote. It will bring up a menu with a move option.

For yesterday and really - catch up is available via the UKTV Play app and live I think is via the TVPlayer app (subscription may be required)

Seems UKTV have just pulled thier channels from TVPlayer according to https://support.tvplayer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025349832-CHANNEL-CHANGES-UKTV-Channels-no-longer-on-TVPlayer

Making progress with Rome. Though the iPad turns it into Rome or Rocky on BH.

UKTV play app seems good for eg Yesterday, Dave etc.

i am currently struggling a little for two things, after doing a bit of looking around online.

1 - an EPG, especially within the ROKU version of iPlayer. It seems to be missing.

2 - a straightforward way to browse catch up content.

Any pointers would be most helpful.

I am running the posh - £60 - latest version of ROKU in an HD capable Smart TV

Cheers

Ferdinand

I am now happy that Roku and the very limited Freeview I can get meet my needs, so I will be cancelling the Virgin bb / phone / TV service from next month, and preparing to move to one of the Phone / BB twin services where there is more choice.

Thanks, all.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. A few weeks in.

The only thing that a really being missed is an EPG; even within the version of iPlayer or the Really / Dave etc app it is very difficult to find things.

i may need to think about the TV Player to make Freeview type channels easier to find.

We have reverted to a newspaper for TV times for now.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Ok. A few weeks in.

The only thing that a really being missed is an EPG; even within the version of iPlayer or the Really / Dave etc app it is very difficult to find things.

use a web browser

Freeview EPG https://www.freeview.co.uk/tv-guide#rOc0dk2JgcqBExzp.97

Freesat EPG https://www.freesat.co.uk/tv-guide/

• 3 months later...

Supplementary question.

One of my Roku Stream Stick + remote controllers (ie the handheld) needs a replacement (it is lost).

Does anyone know which one I need, and if a third party thing is available.

Roku say they sell them, but on their website only seem to have the whole thing available.

Cheers

F