864 or 762: wassa' difference?

ToughButterCup

102mm, well done. Pass Go, collect £100.  Its not a deliberately stupid question.

Everywhere we go , I've recently been surreptitiously measuring door widths. I try hard not to let Debbie see me do so - not entirely successfully. Door widths are important - but 102mm difference? Does so little make so much difference? Why not 964?

Thinking about bedrooms upstairs,  why would I choose 864 over 762? Yep, I'm of a certain age, yep, the usual is happening.  

5 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

[...]

Thinking about bedrooms upstairs,  why would I choose 864 over 762? Yep, I'm of a certain age, yep, the usual is happening.  

Ahhhh, downstairs consideration only then?

(We have no internal doors downstairs......)

Not just ground floor, a future owner can install a stair lift and would want to use a wheelchair up and down. The width of the corridor is also a consideration for hiw wide the door is a there needs to be turning space or a wider door

35 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

102mm, well done. Pass Go, collect £100.  Its not a deliberately stupid question.

Everywhere we go , I've recently been surreptitiously measuring door widths. I try hard not to let Debbie see me do so - not entirely successfully. Door widths are important - but 102mm difference? Does so little make so much difference? Why not 964?

964mm becomes even more difficult to handle - 2 man job? And may also need changes to hinges.

Amongst my French windows, the 900mm one is more temperamental than the extra size would lead me to expect.

Try converting to inches and it will make more sense. Standard British door sizes were 27", 30" and 33" plus it seem you have an odd 34" in the mix.

The basic rule is 33" downstairs and 30" upstairs though I guess once a house is larger than 2000 sq ft the designer might entertain the thought of 33" all round as an architectural statement.

32 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Not just ground floor, a future owner can install a stair lift [...]

Yes, I appreciate that. That's why we have designed the downstairs such that a small area off our downstairs sitting room can be sectioned off to create a bedroom - right next to the downstairs wet room. 

I know it's a bit morbid - but I intend to snuff it in our house, and I don't want the paramedics to skin their knuckles - hence no internal doors downstairs.

• Haha 1

When it comes to MVHR, you need a fixed area gap beneath the door (7600mm2 I think?)  so wider door = smaller gap.

We went for 2040 doors and mostly stuck to 826 widths, there are one or two that are wider (hall) or narrower (utility).  

Edited by Bitpipe

12 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

So 826 it is, then. Final door opening - 4mm (2mm either side) wider - ie. 830.... ?

Yes.

So, rough opening is door plus 2mm either side plus door liningx2 (have you chosen?) plus a gap for final alignment (5mm each side?) - the rough opening is likely to either be slightly out or have tiny bows, which mean you want flexibility to get the door frame perfectly lined using shims) 

Edited by jamiehamy
Edited to be clearer

6 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

So 826 it is, then. Final door opening - 4mm (2mm either side) wider - ie. 830.... ?

You doing door sets, kits or just doors?

We left a 900 structural width for all our doors which allowed for timber linings to go in ahead of plaster - getting the metric ones was a bit of a PITA, more so because nearly every door if FD30 so needed groove for intumescent strip. Lots of scavenging round lots of Howdens.

On reflection, fully hung sets would have been more material cost but much less labour and time to install (@Herbj went this route with the same supplier that I used for doors only).

You can always ditch the supplied architrave to match your own choice of skirting or vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

You doing door sets, kits or just doors?

We left a 900 structural width for all our doors which allowed for timber linings to go in ahead of plaster - getting the metric ones was a bit of a PITA, more so because nearly every door if FD30 so needed groove for intumescent strip. Lots of scavenging round lots of Howdens.

On reflection, fully hung sets would have been more material cost but much less labour and time to install (@Herbj went this route with the same supplier that I used for doors only).

You can always ditch the supplied architrave to match your own choice of skirting or vice versa.

I wish I'd gone pre-hung, as you say more cost but significantly less effort required all round. 

1 minute ago, jamiehamy said:

I wish I'd gone pre-hung, as you say more cost but significantly less effort required all round. 

Yup - my joiner was only able to hang 2-3 doors a day on a £180 day rate - they were FD30 so heavy and finished in a lacquered veneered oak finish so ridiculously easy to mark. That's on top of the time it took him to fit the softwood linings and the architrave afterwards and the cost to have them painted.

I did save about 20% on the ironmongery (Karcher) vs via the door firm but bit of a false economy in the end.

We have metric 826x2040 pretty much everywhere. I liked that the metric doors are 2 inches taller without gong to the expense of taller bespoke doors. The occasional 726 or 926 where design dictates.

Metric FD30s were hard to find, FD30 glass doors even harder.

We have veneered walnut doors, an astonishing number of them were either damaged on delivery or by the joiners putting them up. Thus although the builder wanted to hang them himself it may have been a false economy for him. One issue for us is we have an enormous number of non standard wall thicknesses, so it was easier to build the frames on site.

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

We got our doors from FSN doors in Maidenhead - they’re made in Spain.

Yes, we used the same supplier. 

All our doors were supplied as door sets, except for some cupboard doors on the 2nd Floor and I should have bought door sets for these!

The Ground Floor doors are 926 x 2014 mm minimum, with double doors to lounge, dining room ad kitchen . All Fire Doors

The First Floor bedroom and family bath  doors are all 826 x 2040 mm, with , the double doors for the linen cupboard and 726 x 2024mm for the guest ensuite. All bedroom doors are Fire doors

The 2nd Floor doors are a mix of 826 x 2040mm and 726 x 2040mm, to suit the layout. The two habitable rooms are fire doors.