Getting an address, offering a house name in addition to number

I can’t really see the point in this if I’m being honest, but thought I’d ask as they seem to be offering it and have specifically asked me. 

The house will have a number, so why have  a name as well? Won’t that confuse thing or look a tad pretentious?

Maybe I’m missing something though 

The councils street addressing dept, of course if you aren’t on a numbered street, then a name makes sense. However having a name in addition to the house number I’m not really seeing the point, they want me to confirm so I feel I may be missing something here ?

27 minutes ago, Sjk said:

The councils street addressing dept, of course if you aren’t on a numbered street, then a name makes sense. However having a name in addition to the house number I’m not really seeing the point, they want me to confirm so I feel I may be missing something here ?

Maybe you have pretentious neighbours who want a name too even though they have a number? Reply and say 'a number will do me just fine thanks'. 

Like @ProDave I have a house name but there is no road name to assign numbers to. 

We only have house names and it's a pain. Sometimes courier drivers just can't be bothered to drive around looking for the house, especially after dark in winter. I now routinely enter the second line of my address as "House on right of church".

I also get calls from overseas companies because they always have numbers and don't understand when I tell them my house doesn't have a number.

Edited by Temp

I find that having a sign with the house name "Thederelictunkemptonebetweenthetwoposhones", is a great help to couriers though it won't always fit in he the online address box.

;)

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

A number and a house name is quite common round here, our last house was The Birches, 87 Weston Road, our current house is The Croft, Church Road. The newer property at the end of the street just have numbers.

At Christmas a mischevious  friend addressed the Christmas card to the Mansion on Church Road, Ian our postman delivered it, no problem.

A friend worked for British Geological Survey on the customer help line, someone rang and asked about the potential for flooding, the house was called Wetlands and it was on Watersplash Lane. A name can often say it all.

10 hours ago, Sjk said:

The house will have a number, so why have  a name as well? Won’t that confuse thing or look a tad pretentious?

Pretentious? It can be on a street where house numbers predominate, the exception is where there is an interesting story behind the name.

I have been trying to get rid of the name on mine since 2013, and it keeps reappearing out of databases like a bad penny...

So get it right. It is like calling a dog "Kartoffel mit Spiegelei". Something you can live to regret ?.

My previous house, which only had a name not a number, always crashed the local Wickes' computer without fail. No idea why. It had been called that since at least 1670.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

On 26/03/2019 at 08:54, lizzie said:

We have name only as no numbers here.  I know lots of people with name and number though.  How about ‘Dunbuildin’ as a name? Come on guys lets have some suggestion for names

Reflecting on this, it is a lie on 99.99% of occasions. (I will grant you 1 pr year where it may be true)

Is there anyone who can prove that they are never going to add anything more to their house?

You have to channel Hitchhiker, again:

Mostly Dunbuildin' .

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

I like the retirement house name "Dunearn" or "Dunworkin"

Sometimes I think this one should have been called "Neveragain"

Isn’t yours called  Thisisnotacaravan ?

Edited by Ferdinand

I'm still deliberating on names, nobody can find us anyway, especially since Google has suddenly moved the centre of the postcode (which was over our house and had been forever) to the middle of a field a mile away. We are hard by Cakes and Ales mine, so Cakes and Ales cottage seemed a good idea. As it is for holiday lets a copy of  the book ales and cakes on the shelf? Out of interest one of the most popular house names in the 30s to 50s is Dunroamin (various spellings) which means exactly what it sounds like.

14 minutes ago, mafaldina said:

I'm still deliberating on names, nobody can find us anyway, especially since Google has suddenly moved the centre of the postcode (which was over our house and had been forever) to the middle of a field a mile away. 

Interresting.  the same has happened to us.

The "postcode pin" used to appear half way down our short road.  But a while back I had a phone call from a delivery driver who had been directed down a private estate track and was on the riverbank but the wrong side of the river.  I gave him directions to get here.  When I investigates, our "postcode pin" is now beyond the end of the road, down a dirt track and in the middle of a field, just over the river from where this driver had been directed.

So I thought I better point out this error to Google. Only to find I can't report an error without first registering with google, something I have vowed never to do.

The postcode is still in the correct place on Bing maps.

Out of interest, in what direction and how far has your postcode moved?