EIRC

The house I am selling was rewired when I moved in in 2000, with further electrical work being done when I had my bathroom done in about 2010.

I know I should have had a certificate for the more recent work.  I don't think I was given any but if I have I have lost it.

I was asked by the buyer's solicitor to buy an indemnity.  In the spirit of doing things right I instead got an electrical report done for the work done in 2010.  which was basically ok - had some C3s.  One due to not having the test notice, one that the fuse box is plastic not metal and one that incoming bonds are not within 600mm of entry.  

So basically reasonable ok.

The buyer has now decided he wants a full EICR done.  Technically he should pay for it as far as I can see but he is refusing and says he is not proceeding with the sale unless I get one done.

If I get one done what would be is likely in terms of C1, C2 and C3.  I know that if there were any C1s, I would want to get them corrected as that is dangerous .  C3s are general recommendations but as it was rewired 20 years ago I can see there being other issues due to regulation changes and possibly general wear and tear.  

I'm not sure what to think or do.  The guy that did the testing basically said as it was done so long ago the chances of it passing are slim to zero

I know that's what I'm thinking, that's why I want to know what I can expect in terms of probable faults that are due to change in regs and or general wear and tear and what should reasonably raise red flags for the buyer.

24 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

[...]

Technically he should pay for it as far as I can see but he is refusing and says he is not proceeding with the sale unless I get one done.

[...]

That's an excellent filter. If he says he wants it - but not at the minor expense of a bit of paper, then  in reality he doesn't want it.

Call his bluff.

I would call his bluff but I know how stubborn he is.  

Before 'buying' mine he was very close to exchanging/completing on another house.  According to him she kept putting the date back.  He 'finally' said he had had enough and was pulling out.  She then said she could exchange that week and he told her 'too late, it's off. 

Of course this is only what he has told me.

So when you get the one done that you have you specifically asked him only to check the recent work?

I would be VERY wary of an electrician that codes a plastic consumer unit. Changes to the wiring regs are not retrospective.  A plastic CU was the norm when the house was rewired as was a "16th edition" split load consumer unit with only an RCD on one half for the sockets.  Previously there used to be a C4 clasification "compliant with an earlier edition of the regs" It was a very bad move removing that.

If you trust the electrician to be fair get him to do the whole lot. If he does find any C1 or C2's in all probability it will be a lot less hastle if you just get him to fix them so you can present a "satisfactory" EICR otherwise they will probably ask for unreasonable amounts off the price to cover it.

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I would say fine but the cost of buying has just went up to include this extra expense. 

The cost of the survey doesn't bother me.  It's less than £200 - better in my pocket but not worth losing sleep over.

If it threw up anything dangerous ie C1s then I am prepared to pay for them

It's the 'C2s'  anything wired in 2000 is almost guaranteed to have them - I'm not prepared to pay for a rewire.

Also if I have it done and he still pulls out I have to give that report to any potential buyer as it is 'known faults'.  Again I'm not talking about things that are really dangerous and not just potentially so.  

Probably wants £1000 or £1500 off....its an old one.  You can either get the report done at cost of few hundred and then he will want the cost of remedial work knocked off or you can try and agree a price reduction instead.  You have to weigh up what its worth to you to keep the sale on track really.  Market is definitely slower at top end in this area and its starting to filter down.

"It's the 'C2s'  anything wired in 2000 is almost guaranteed to have them". No, not at all. A C2 is a potentially dangerous situation. Just being to an earlier version of the regs is not a case for C2.

18 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

It's the 'C2s'  anything wired in 2000 is almost guaranteed to have them - I'm not prepared to pay for a rewire.

Only if your electrician is being an aris.

Something wired in 2000, providing it was done correctly then, should have nothing more than C3's like no RCD on the lighting circuit.  Anyone who gives a C2 for that for instance is not fit to be practicing but just touting for unecessary work

He has already checked things like the bonding and agreed they are not C1 or C2 so don't over worry about it.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Only if your electrician is being an aris.

Something wired in 2000, providing it was done correctly then, should have nothing more than C3's like no RCD on the lighting circuit.  Anyone who gives a C2 for that for instance is not fit to be practicing but just touting for unecessary work

He has already checked things like the bonding and agreed they are not C1 or C2 so don't over worry about it.

There are no RCDs even on the sockets.  The only RCDs are on the work done in 2010

2 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

There are no RCDs even on the sockets.  The only RCDs are on the work done in 2010

Oh, well there should have been in 2000.

Might have to factor in a consumer unit upgrade then and a cost of probably £400.  I would still much rather do that than present an unsatisfactory EICR and have the buyer from hell demand £3000 off for a rewire.

If you get any work done and present a satisfactory EICR he has nothing to argue with.

And 

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Oh, well there should have been in 2000.

Might have to factor in a consumer unit upgrade then and a cost of probably £400.  I would still much rather do that than present an unsatisfactory EICR and have the buyer from hell demand £3000 off for a rewire.

If you get any work done and present a satisfactory EICR he has nothing to argue with.

AND if they haven't done that - what else am I going to uncover?

Just now, Hecateh said:

And 

AND if they haven't done that - what else am I going to uncover?

Not a lot.

A 50 year old 15th edition install if done properly would probably only need a new CU and the earth bonding upgrading.  You already know the earth bonding is acceptable so I would be really surprised if there if the worst case is worse than just a new CU.

What about bathroom light?  If you have a dangly pendant light fitting then he will probably insist that is upgraded to a proper bathroom light fitting but that is pretty trivial cost.

Just get the EICR done so you can stop worrying and move forward.

Maybe have a word with the electrician re 'expectations' before you start quoting from @ProDave's useful info above. Of course the down side is that the buyer can still pull out or ask for a discount just because he can. Bloody English system! 

When the guy came, I let him in and went back to my new place to get my phone.  

He started work, I came back and 'wondered what he was doing' as I had only asked for the new work to be done.

OK he says - but the rest isn't right.  

OH! says I, but I only need the new work certificated

'OK' he says 'that's what I will send you BUT in what I have checked so far there are issues'

- something to do with overload and conductors

- and something to do with insulation resistance

so it looks like I really do have an issue here!

but everything has worked fine for 20 years -

38 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@Hecateh are you using an estate agent for the sale or did you go down the purple bricks route?

No backed of of Purple Bricks.  Spoke with the EA on Saturday, (Not my nominated person) and he wanted me to have it done saying it is becoming common.  My solicitor on the other hand said it was up to them to sort it if they wanted it

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

What about bathroom light?  If you have a dangly pendant light fitting then he will probably insist that is upgraded to a proper bathroom light fitting but that is pretty trivial cost.

No dangly light - the bathroom is what I got him in to sign off.  Electric UFH and lighting up to scratch

@Hecateh follow your agents instinct if they know the buyer. Agent has more incentive to get the sale through than your lawyer, at least if its done you will know the numbers and the horse trading can start. If it were me I would get on with it pdq and you can reach agreement on price reduction or get work done.... I would go for price reduction for quick exchange.

26 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

When the guy came, I let him in and went back to my new place to get my phone.  

He started work, I came back and 'wondered what he was doing' as I had only asked for the new work to be done.

OK he says - but the rest isn't right.  

OH! says I, but I only need the new work certificated

'OK' he says 'that's what I will send you BUT in what I have checked so far there are issues'

- something to do with overload and conductors

- and something to do with insulation resistance

so it looks like I really do have an issue here!

but everything has worked fine for 20 years -

Get him to do the test, then  go through with you what needs to be done.

Overload of conductors, perhaps one of the MCB;s is the wrong size? who know until he tells you more.

Insulation resistance is a common one, could be anything from a bit of damp somewhere to a failed cable. That may take some finding before he can tell you exactly what.

If you don't get it fixed Mr grumpy buyer will take you to the cleaners.