Is it worth exceeding 16A for a (non-MCS) Pv system?

Nick1c

I am trying to get my head around the best options for our roof. 

The current plan is for 17 panels & 5 veluxes. As I am concerned about overheating I was thinking of reducing the veluxes to 3 upping the Pv to 19 panels, or even more. Once I discovered the £500 per window cost of the integral flashing I became even keener!

It turns out that, according to Wagner, who sell the in roof kits, that I will have to apply to the DNO (western power) for permission to feed in over 16A if   I go over 17 panels. 

Given I will not be getting any money for the power fed in am I likely to get any worthwhile use from the extra generation? Presumably in the near future both electric cars & batteries will become more attractive. 

I assume I will be charged for supplying free power to the grid, but have no idea how much ?

The basic rules are up to 16A (which equates to 3.68KW) you have a right to fit it, and then notify the DNO afterwards that you have done this.  2 of us on here have just done this, and apart from them being a bit strict on paperwork had no real problems.

If you go over 16A then you need permission FIRST before you connect it.  It might be worth asking your DNO if they will allow a larger system and will there be a charge for any network upgrades to do so.  If the answer is yes and there are no charges, then that is great.

The alternative is fit more panels but still use a G83/2 compliant inverter, which will limit the output to 16A.  What are the ratings of each panel you are proposing?  I am guessing about 230W per panel, if so fitting 19 of them would give a total of 4370W  Which would probably still be okay an a 16#A inverter.