Flexible Expanding Foam or Expanding Tape?

Hi,

I've just had our timber triple glazed doors and windows installed into our timber frame house. The fitters inserted expandable foam and a mastic seal on the inside - this will also be taped over with air tight tape but I am just trying to figure out the best way to fill the gaps on the external face to maximise thermal efficiency and prevent water ingress. I know flexible expanding foam will allow the timber to move however would expanding tape offer a better thermal performance?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

3 minutes ago, Confused said:

Hi,

I've just had our timber triple glazed doors and windows installed into our timber frame house. The fitters inserted expandable foam and a mastic seal on the inside - this will also be taped over with air tight tape but I am just trying to figure out the best way to fill the gaps on the external face to maximise thermal efficiency and prevent water ingress. I know flexible expanding foam will allow the timber to move however would expanding tape offer a better thermal performance?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

I have used expanding foam tape around all my windows, no expanding foam at all. I have then taped inside and out and got a very good air test result

• Like 1

Depending on the external finish, you can either use a mastic seal or Compriband expanding tape.  The benefit of the Compriband is that it allows vapour to escape, provides a weathertight seal and allows for timber expansion / contraction.  It is expensive though.

• Like 1