Plasterboarding on yer lonesome ....

50 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Let's just say that I'd not have been able to lift boards the way those lads did.  Not sure, but I suspect we're pretty close to being the same age, within a  couple of years or so (hint: I've was told that I was outside Buckingham Palace at the Coronation, albeit being carried in a carrycot).

One is very firmly avoiding enquiring as to whether this curiously and suspiciously unspecified Coronation was Lillibet or George...

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 2

I used to plasterboard ceilings on my own (decades ago ?) then I started using 6x3 sheets instead of 8x4. All done with two timber “T” shapes wedged to the floor. Fir this build I let the builder do it. (What coronation?).

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I was glad there were 3 of us when we fitted the 15mm fireline plasterboard ceiling to the garage.

I fitted sound bloc on my own. Bloody heavy, I laid the boards horizontal.

@recoveringacademic, a board lifter is good to have if you haven't already got one:

950130_xl.thumb.jpg.045be1d27f651697f295a3fbba51c921.jpg

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-panel-board-carrier-950130

I used one of those board lifters to board out my extension - about 80m2 across two ground floor rooms with 15mm fire rated PB. Was a doddle on my own, the board lifter was great. The hardest bit was lugging all the 15mm boards in from the drive on my own. I've still got it for  when I get to lining the upper floor in the loft conversion, £100 well spent and will get something back for it on ebay when I flog it. They are surprisingly well made and sturdy for the money but it is a bit heavy and unwieldy, wouldn't fancy using it off a flat, smooth deck. I didn't realise you could get an extension, should think it would be fine with one, they are very stable.

I'm currently on this task myself and have purchase a board lifter, which will get its first use tomorrow. I have relatively simple low flat ceilings but it's still brutal work. My 15mm boards are 33kg each and if I can just once lift them over my head then step onto a hop-up, use my head to hold the board against the ceiling in the correct position and tack it on....I certainly cant do it multiple times, and then turn up to do it again the next day.  A deadman or two are helpful, but are also more to juggle when single-handed.  The board lifter (based on an initial play) will make the task 'viable' solo..but painfully slow.  I'm imagining two people working together can do 6 times the pace of a solo.

I cant really grasp the idea of putting a lift on a tower and trying to operate it safely solo...like others i'm a bit concerned.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses. 

I have yet to underboard the joists of the vaulted area with 80mm of insulation, and then put the PB (the subject of this thread)  on top of (underneath)  that. Debbie points out that if I plan it well enough, maybe I can arrange it such that the smaller pieces of PB go into the apex of the  roof. It's not that big ... about 10 square meters.

' You aren't the roughy-toughy you once were, dear '  she said hi-tailing it out the door to work this morning.

Revenge will be served, cold, sometime later this week.

Do we get a discount for all the plasterboard lifters we’re buying? I’ll be buying one soon as I’ve also got sloping ceilings. Still not sure how I’m going to plasterboard the four storey stairwell walls and ceiling? Do they do an extra long extension?

23 minutes ago, Triassic said:

[...]

Still not sure how I’m going to plasterboard the four storey stairwell walls and ceiling? Do they do an extra long extension?

Four storeys? And here's me whingeing like a big handmaiden ! 

Mine's 2 and a bit. I have built  an internal scaffold : part KwikStage, part trestles and KwikStage scaffold boards. 

Time for some pics (a la @Onoff), I think. 

Steep learning curves, I luv 'em.

On 24/03/2019 at 16:35, nod said:

To be honest Ian 

Its safer two people on a tower than one with a boardlifter single handed on a slope They can tip  

Ive a boardlifter that I done use that you can borrow 

and I could call up and give you a lift to get your slope out of the way if you like 

We don’t want you to be the first forum death 

Gary 

You can only offer