Storage heaters

Pocster

They are expensive NOW because of the EU and LOT20 the latest silly EU directive that forces lots of electronics into what used to be a simple electrical device.

If this is to fix an existing broken one, just repair it. Unless the case is rusted and tatty, just about everything else can be fixed cheap and easy.

In the case of a former rental I had one where the case had become too tatty.  I bought a cheap second hand one in good condition from ebay.  to get the person to post it, I said don't send the bricks, I used the bricks from the old one.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

They are expensive NOW because of the EU and LOT20 the latest silly EU directive that forces lots of electronics into what used to be a simple electrical device.

If this is to fix an existing broken one, just repair it. Unless the case is rusted and tatty, just about everything else can be fixed cheap and easy.

In the case of a former rental I had one where the case had become too tatty.  I bought a cheap second hand one in good condition from ebay.  to get the person to post it, I said don't send the bricks, I used the bricks from the old one.

What is lot20 ?

Electricians thinks maybe pcb duff 

What is the model number of the existing faulty storage heater?

LOT 20 is the latest EU directive to make electric heaters "more eficcient"  Lets ignore for the moment a resistance heater is 100% eficcient.

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/blog/get-speed-ecodesign-lot-20

https://www.lot20.co.uk/about

I first encountered this recently when I fitted a small panel heater that the customer had bought.  A week later she told me to come and remove the POS.  It kept turning off saying "window open" (when it was not) and her bathroom was cold.  My guess is it was programmed to expect a certain rate of rise of temperature, and in an old poorly insulated house it was not seeing that rate of rise so assumed the window was open.  

I "solved" that one by finding a new old stock pre LOT20 heater with just a timer and thermostat and she was delighted with it.

Also another one of these new Dimplex panel heaters, I spent 15 minutes with the manual and I could not figure for the life of me how to set the times on the timer.  There is an increasing gap between what the manufacturers produce and what the customer wants.

• Thanks 1