TV onto plasterboard wall

I refer you to what I did. There is a LOT to properly hanging a tv on the wall if it is more than "just" a television:  This included a pocket built into the wall for the surround sound box, lots of hidden cabling and a little shelf

24 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@HecatehIs it too late to drop the TV down and hide all the sockets behind it?  

I really wanted it high as it has the potential to partly block the way into the kitchen round the island.  

My whole living space is really small, the room, comprising kitchen, lounge and dining area,  measures 7.5 m x 3.7 m (with an alcove for the dining table.)  My brain told me I shouldn't have an island - but heart won and it does help to define the space.

It would also have meant that the tv couldn't go flat back against the wall if the sockets were behind it.  It would look so bad if the cables were white.  It would also be better if I had a sound bar rather than the speaker system I am using that I bought for my computer at least 10 years ago.  So, I have tidied it up a bit, and will just stick with it for now.  Until the house sale goes through I can't even contemplate spending on a sound bar.  My sister is having to loan me expenses month to month and the buyer is being a pain in the neck and I suspect he is about to pull out.  

If I mount the speakers and put up a shelf just below the tv for the freesat box I can hide most of the wiring behind the TV.  I can get rid of the shelves and just leave the woofer on the floor.  Not having someone to bounce ideas off at home it really helps getting ideas from here.  

I really love the way @ProDave 's is but mine is on an exterior wall so there is only the batten thickness to recess so I won't be doing that.  I will be aiming to getting it look as similar to that as I can.  (  AV_Wall.jpg

Mine is an "outside" wall, well backing onto the attached garage at least. Yes I know by inserting that pocket into the wall I have very slightly compromised the insulation a little there, but I did seal all the joints in the box that makes up the pocket and taped it to the air tight membrane so it should not have compromosed air tightness.

Yes @Hecateh a shelf under your tv should house the speakers etc and tidy things up. The swiveling bracket you have will stick out a bit more than a flat one so hopefully you can get it so the shelf sticks out no further than the tv when it is "flat"

If you have a battened then plasterboarded wall, you should be able to thread the cable for the sub woofer down the gap between the actual wall and the plasterboard.

Some sort of boxing underneath to house everything?  Maybe thats too much in the space.  How many TV's do you have?  You could site the box remotely and get one of those things (forget the name) that links all the TV's into one box and that box could be anywhere not under the TV,  all controlled by magic eyes.  Works really well.  I've had it in a few houses.  That would just leave your speaker system to go on the TV wall.

I wired for it in this house - my sky box in is the data cab in the plant room and is wired up to half a dozen tvs via the cabling so all I have is TV's on the wall.  Not bothered with soundbars here as I am deaf in one ear so only hear in mono and they have been a waste of money in previous houses.

A step in the right direction.  

Once I've shortened the coaxial cables and got a shelf for the freesat box the only visible cable will be the subwoofer one.  I don't really want to put a shelf up for that as I suspect I will get a sound bar in due course

Discussing it on here motivates me to actually do something instead of just sitting thinking about itw
lma4V137HsYH1ceJrclacjyDAs1aHwtberEVHgyKjGvSKls50vSjqNYKERkXKduQlXG9ObRLgQZR2ml1TE1Oub3EVrNqQiRei5h7lyhlgcvfSak34KxmWbUNTMA3WnD97KKysKLPsevdtm8LNXy4dDvh3oJmORctRCco5arbxOpgexfj-nLcv9xJ8xM78mS8jCPvKva_aiHzkv7m8wpfGDf4JZjYdUmavmDABgIPF_yc5E2npRy9vC8pkCZZrTo7U37XVX04kMcMzJ8ZSgj5IclNkkKKuY9Q6jIldxEmjMeaibLKk8W1SdTXA5Nq5P1tUS9OXN_2g5UUFaK0a7cSXvUAUZl5aLGs-HYlLRLgg7mpHqKoHCxwNyRMkDAZyNteIYIn71vAn3eBhKJlSQc3VIInaErIt3RKceqwy2_Ug4sVA2ET0vA39fOMeTWaZ2CSzHwAiGCn4MGNwbahnbPk19FdHe6FcMNBY1TzLlYF2rq1RChhDAp4FPszA1iqcfU5Dsy7lTJjTk9TIjOu29trOSgPMZvFZouS7s8o1B3s0_FWfmssELWweak1Xz69uBUUw80bFrycKrr5snFw7PlRoZnNVMH4PDn2VBQmEyW1IUwRrAj_t7-OSbVSqidvWDcQP4FUmK6MAIWosCyj6qJW8uKBlNteQFc=w352-h625-no

or in context of the room

dRfsIG6RXrsBUUQN_EscBBDhmJl55L0Y8izcdvS4Zzn47wkWS8w6XApUiEYY_ptLFUHvFaLZkZg7u-0wNasfiPsx_uXtnyeuC4CPD4qgJimMS9QSoiS-I6_gDrT-05_s-W8UKsHvMdvFU1uXTZqAwOUETNLnb2tD7pGW2-GaJRLWw46Y1CZcPWoQRb5aw5CbpKe4ZZ3pN8uGAdpambLCrI24KEWueYkurAU5fXFF-7sm030Tm_yiHaabeg9ie3NXz6hQqI5YR_LRaZas5_CsS99eJMql4AZnu2jYLe0J8v5KggfGR9BQCoCdX5KLxkCiwxlMq9yBF8fuMxkVHpGWOPgxlxOCTZqd8NdRFU1LKC8dUBJE5FOqvH7P74IKx7KcGxC0xEEX8LGnOEX-AOI3dclkMR0YNxxdlHniaGjAWR859a0aNjcU8hlYkrDrssnUDMykvma5o8lVWDGyxjuH-hWU0p46iJbt7PiRW_EjrTOLxd3XUQxSRtCq4551g0430RGpscdcuHmGKqo3ShD_hTaevRmFvUGGWNCMLWSshxXXnT9080MJTCAQLSwD--v45TbG9LueBJR2vzUdfbaiiwZqsLU_Xp0BglRsQA_1s85FGh2xQW4TrUAI4-mQJ8UMgFb_a0KuL6vzmMm2QkkNbvrheEHEjrs=w1112-h625-no
  • Like 1

Okay seeing that again. I would put a very high up shelf, above the tv for the freesat box.

Get an electrician to move the sockets a little further up the wall so they are behind the tv and hidden. At the same time hide the cable for the sub woofer in the wall.

When you mount the tv on the new bracket, put it a little to the left so it is not overhanging the window and so there is room to put the speakers either side of the tv, not below the tv.

3 hours ago, Hecateh said:

With the freesat I don't need the aerial connection (connection and cable there but no aerial fitted anyway)

We just use the HDMI connections into our TV.  My Humax, Chromecast and Laptop all have HDMI outputs anyway.  The two satellite cables go into the Humax. which is on a shelf below the TV.

Hmm,  great idea the freesat box going above - or maybe offset to the left hand side.

The bracket is there because it's fixed into the best available batten.  I can easily move the tv over to the left without moving the bracket if I cantilever it out and push it back the other way.  I prefer it where it is as I would need to have it at more of an angle to be visible from where I sit and it is already oriented to the left of where I sit; I don't want to have to turn further to watch tv.  Whilst it is not ideal in front of the door - it's only me, no youngsters dashing in and out.  Over to the left it also restricts access to the kitchen.   

I'm quite comfortable with the speakers being underneath.

I will get the sockets moved up when I next have the electrician out.