Small basic build- help needed.

Hi chaps/ guys,

I wish to build a small 4m sq 'workshop' for approx £8k, near-all self-built. Next to my house. I wonder if you good folks could give me some basic help/ tips.

Design: simple (cost-effective), single story. Considering timber, but, it needs to be very solid as weather batters the spot in Q extremely hard, side-on. And also sound a consideration: I use a router inside, rural (tho I am a detatched house).. maybe block-based the way to go.

Last year I had it architect-planned; a bigger plan with a bedroom above.. an extention. But expense (~£26k min), & understanding the process left me rethinking, ruling out top room, ruling out extention idea (I couldn't cope understanding process too/ got in a pickle). I got planning permission for it tho.

So a totally blank sheet again. I was thinking maybe something like the following:

A) under 4M high, & 2M min from road (ie rule out need for planning permission).

B) a single-block course, gently pitched roof.

C) wood cladding on 2 sides (visual/ blending in).

D) studs on inner walls > 'sound' rockwool, similarly in ceiling.

Is this a feasable preliminary rough sketch? I might well need the foundations pro done.. & some help with the roof.

Many thanks, zoot.

How much of it will you do yourself? That makes all the difference. If you did all of it except say the block work it would cost much less than 8K for what you have described, try about half. Get people in to do every stage and 8K would probably about cover it.

Don't know why you would need founds done professionally - apart from the actual concrete bit (because I assume you don't have a concrete plant!) I wouldn't even do founds, just a 8-10inch slab, stick in some re-bar and that would work - give us details of your ground makeup and what level you need the slab to be at. You could rent a diesel mixer and do this in a day but you probably like your back!

Sounds reasonable though.

How about keeping it simple and buying a large garden shed.  Don't need concrete founds. You can have it sitting on planks.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-10-Pressure-Treated-Tongue-Groove-Wooden-Workshop-Shed-With-Double-Doors/233171940481?hash=item364a217481:g:M8AAAOSwi3xcSHbB

2 men would have it erected in a few hrs with no mess from digging out needed. 

Then insulate it and board over with osb/ply. 

6 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

How much of it will you do yourself? That makes all the difference. If you did all of it except say the block work it would cost much less than 8K for what you have described, try about half. Get people in to do every stage and 8K would probably about cover it.

Don't know why you would need founds done professionally - apart from the actual concrete bit (because I assume you don't have a concrete plant!) I wouldn't even do founds, just a 8-10inch slab, stick in some re-bar and that would work - give us details of your ground makeup and what level you need the slab to be at. You could rent a diesel mixer and do this in a day but you probably like your back!

Sounds reasonable though.

Well Id like to say all of it myself Carrerahill. It'd all be new to me sure, but, I think I'd be able.. with help/ tips from this fine website as I go. Did my bathroom & kitchen renovating up to a decent std, takes me 4x as long sure as its all new to me.. but no problem with that.

Roof I'm not so sure about, so maybe some semi-pro help here. As to the founds: well I guess its a Q of what weight 4 walls of block + roof would need. A Q I'm not in any position to answer.. but did think it would need normal-depth trenches dug whether 1 or 2 stories: I think that's what a building regs inspector told me regarding the original extention plan. Maybe not then.. great. Thanks for suggestions.

Declan, a cheap option for sure/ thx for suggestion.. but not nearly substantial enough. One storm & that'll be gone. I'm hammered by gales frequently coming in fully side-on (channels up a wee valley - & WALLOP I'm in direct path, & where this structure is gets hit 1st too).

More suggestions, ideas would be very welcome- the more the merrier. Ive a total blank sheet at the moment still.

I do need to establish if I have the following correct for starters: as long as its 4m high max, & 2m min from any highway.. & it doesn't need planning permission. Can someone confirm this? I'm west wales if this is a factor. I am adjacent to a small lane/ road, & needs to go against it ( my hedge only between).. so I'll need to squeeze all I can here.

7 hours ago, zoothorn said:

More suggestions, ideas would be very welcome- the more the merrier. Ive a total blank sheet at the moment still.

I do need to establish if I have the following correct for starters: as long as its 4m high max, & 2m min from any highway.. & it doesn't need planning permission. Can someone confirm this? I'm west wales if this is a factor. I am adjacent to a small lane/ road, & needs to go against it ( my hedge only between).. so I'll need to squeeze all I can here.

I THINK the rules might be stricter if AONB, area of special scientific interest etc.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/wales_en/info/3/common_projects/34/outbuildings

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

I THINK the rules might be stricter if AONB, area of special scientific interest etc.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/wales_en/info/3/common_projects/34/outbuildings

Hi Onoff. Useful info thanks.. but I just cannot understand the basics as its wording is so convoluted/ its so complicated. This is one reason I couldn't cope with the build I got PP for.. it was too stressful to understand.

The only way is to break down each into a simplified Q. Ie, Am I allowed to build it 4M high, or not? how close to the road can it be?

Is there anyone on here who could help me in such stripped-down basic Q's?

---------------------------

Hi SueB.. I'll look into this for sure thanks.

5 hours ago, zoothorn said:

The only way is to break down each into a simplified Q. Ie, Am I allowed to build it 4M high, or not? how close to the road can it be?

Is there anyone on here who could help me in such stripped-down basic Q's?

@Temp generally has a good knowledge of planning regs. Have you got a Land Registry plan of your plot and neighbouring plots that you could post? That might help people here understand how close you are to boundaries etc. 

Hi Newhome,

I do have such a plan, but its looklike its from 1970's.. tiny pea-sized property on expanse of an A4 page: utterly hopeless.

I have spoken to building control chap last year, who suggested I could conceivably go the non-PP route if "4M etc".. but not sure if he was being specific looking at my plans, or a vague general point.

You see what I don't want to do is from the reams of info, seems like I can do it > build it.. then for someone to say "oh no you cant do that/ has to come down".. because of some tiny small print btm of page 436 in the mass of info I've overlooked, or not understood something fully.

It’s to do with distance to boundaries generally too so you need to do a rough sketch of where your house is on the plot and then sketch where you want the building. It you look at the satellite view of your house on Google Maps it will give you something roughly to work off.

Now that's a good idea newhome. So somehow to get the zoomed image captured/ stored, & added here.. I'm not sure your able to do this?

I am adjacent to a tiny b-road (quietest/ a lane) on the side I propose to site it, & close to the 2m mark at one corner. I have a hedge of mine between. All I want to ascertain is; is this & the 4m height maximum, the only considerations: if my corner point I set at 2.25m away from road edge here.. can I just crack on & build it up to 4m high, or are there a multitude of other things I have to consider/ rules & regs too?

Maybe I should I be asking this prior Q to the build, in another section of the forum.

13 hours ago, newhome said:

It’s to do with distance to boundaries generally too so you need to do a rough sketch of where your house is on the plot and then sketch where you want the building. It you look at the satellite view of your house on Google Maps it will give you something roughly to work off.

I can't get close enough in to make use of google maps image, its the same "pea-sized on A4" scale as the poor land registry plan. If I zoom in one touch more it goes into 3D with a vague idea only of my property this side.

@zoothorn Ok the 4m is a Building Regs limit, not a planning one. Also a max of 30sqm for not requiring building regs either. 

PM me your post code and house name / number and I’ll try and pull the proper map for you to outline the property and areas you could put something in. 

13 hours ago, newhome said:

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@zoothorn Ok the 4m is a Building Regs limit, not a planning one. Also a max of 30sqm for not requiring building regs either. 

PM me your post code and house name / number and I’ll try and pull the proper map for you to outline the property and areas you could put something in. 

Hi PeterW,

that's good of you- will PM now.. zoot

Anyone else know about these sort of planning permission &/ or building regs basics? I'm already confused from the off if the 4m max/ 2m max (Height & distance from road) rules apply to 2 different departments.

I'm a total fish out of water here, on my todd/ no family to help, or anyone I can go to & speak: I just need some basic advice to get going.. in both the design, & the 'rules' of building it.

Thanks.. zoot.