First time buyer

ElliotS

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

i think you perhaps just need to be logged in, though I was not aware that that was one of the Members Only areas.

F

It’s now a sub forum for regular members only due to the nature of some of the threads. 

Just now, Ferdinand said:

Cheers. So that is just a need to login, then .. or are a certain qty of posts required?

Post count. There are a handful of such sub forums currently. Different post counts needed for each. 

20 minutes ago, newhome said:

It seems to be more to do with occupying the house whilst finishing off currently. HMRC seem to be stating that you are thus agreeing that the house is habitable and ‘complete’. 

I have just had a read through that thread and it appears very frustrating, the HMRC will give any excuse to fight their corner. Regarding VAT return, is this only on materials outside of the timber framed house itself or is this a part of it? Please tell me if I'm completely wrong but hypothetically speaking, if I purchased a TF house or SIP house for 110k from Potton for example, Would I be eligible to claim the VAT back on the full unit or just materials that we purchase separate like plasterboard, windows etc?

Sorry if that is a really rookie question, my knowledge is limited on this subject.

1 hour ago, ElliotS said:

Regarding VAT return, is this only on materials outside of the timber framed house itself or is this a part of it? 

Depends. If you buy the house kit (timber frame let’s say) supply only you can reclaim the VAT as long as eligible. If you buy it supply and fit from a VAT registered trader then as a new build the whole lot should be zero rated at source. 

There is another thread in that sub forum pinned at the top and called a ‘guide’ that explains a lot more. 

• Like 1

Thank again to everyone who previously responded to this. 

It is almost certain I will go with a renovation project and build up that way, I have found a suitable property but there is work that needs to be done as well. Its only small and will need an extension of some sort adding to it to make it suitable. Has anyone got any experience with SIP extensions or are timber frame extensions a thing? inexperience really showing here, sorry guys.