Ed, Declan, Pete: help please! Does this gap matter?

ToughButterCup

It was all going well: too well - the laying chipboard flooring that is.....

20190321_093553.thumb.jpg.19b8db3add9cce9540b97f5c32990e8e.jpg

But some time or other I had to solve the problem of what happens when the joists change direction. Half the joists run north south, half east west. And they meet at the top of the stairs. That was the place where two cut edges have to sit side by side : and I tackled that little joker yesterday - 

Oh dear:

20190321_093604.thumb.jpg.b139e883cf594c69124385b190ec0ff6.jpg

North South joist on the RHS, East West joists LHS. They meet under the left-hand gap.

Its the gap covered by the rule that I'm concerned about. The joint sits squarely across a wide joist. Both bits of floorboard can be adequately stuck down and screwed into place firmly.

Debbie wants it to be covered with bamboo. The gap will not be seen. But I know the friggin' thing is there....

GGGGrrrrrr.  I've worked really hard to get it all mm perfect.   IGNORE : REPAIR : REPLACE?

Knock down and start again? (Nein Danke)

You need to temper your OCD ( I have had to do this), yes you know it’s there but as long as it’s solid, as in fixed properly, there is nothing wrong with it., to make yourself feel better you could fill it with D4 glue and let it foam in the gap, (spray a little water in the gap to make it foam more) then trim it off flush with the flooring.

• Like 1

Why is there a gap?  I would have sorted that as you laid the board.

Probably too much work to change it now so I would just put several screws in each board either side of the gap to ensure they can't move.

TIP 

In some cases when boarding at a change of joist direction, you can make boards interlock properly at the join by turning one set of boards upside down.

It has run out somewhere but as long as it is fixed securely on both sides across the joists and it is LEVEL move on as you will have bigger problems in the future (as we all have ?)

47 minutes ago, nod said:

[...] It should be oozing out of each joint 

Oh, it's oooooozin' baby,  Its ooozin' OK. All over my trousers ;

I've

• knelt in it
  • sat in it,
  • walked in it 
  • got it all over my hands
  • got it on one elbow but not the other
  • got it in my hair
  • one lens of my glasses is coated in it
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Poor old Ian.  You really need to work on your karma, build up a bit of resilience and also maybe read up on the problems that people moving into a typical new-build development often face.  :) 

1 minute ago, recoveringacademic said:

But most of all, just trying to get it right

Accepting 99% right instead can often do wonders for your stress levels and have no material difference to anyone other than you. 

I've been really quite poorly this past year and it is taking ages for me to recover my health.  OK, a series of viral assaults caught from my new grandson has been a factor here, but I am sure that the overall impact of the long-term stress of doing the build has been just as much of a factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

I've

• knelt in it
  • sat in it,
  • walked in it 
  • got it in my hair

Stick at it!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I've

• knelt in it
  • sat in it,
  • walked in it 
  • got it in my hair

if you're going to get falling down drunk, do it somewhere you haven't just glued ???

8 hours ago, TerryE said:

Accepting 99% right instead can often do wonders for your stress levels and have no material difference to anyone other than you. 

I've been really quite poorly this past year and it is taking ages for me to recover my health.  OK, a series of viral assaults caught from my new grandson has been a factor here, but I am sure that the overall impact of the long-term stress of doing the build has been just as much of a factor.

Hope you well on the way back to health Terry

I reckon you need to get yourself round some other sites and see what $h!t some of 'the professionals' call acceptable. Then will you be able to appreciate what a dog's bollocks job you're doing! I think a lot of us diy'ers torture ourselves over minor detail, simply because we don't have the experience to know what's minor and what isn't. That's where the collective Buildhub wisdom steps in...?

• Like 4