Insulation

GrantMcscott

Hi

Need some advise

My Architect has specified 70mm thk. Kingspan Kooltherm K103 which has a U-Value of 0.17.  I was think about using 150mm with a U-value of 0.1 but is it worth the extra money.  It is about double the price for the 150 mm

I am having under floor heating down stairs 

thanks

Insulation costs just once but pays back each and every year.

I would say yes, upgrade it, for three reasons. Energy and so ££ saving. A more constant (and so comfortable) internal environment. Improved sound proofing. 

Value airtightness too.

You evidently know about things if you are quoting U-values. If you haven't done so, consider thermal modelling of your building, even just a little. PHPP or Jeremy's spreadsheet. It can be revealing.

Edited by Dreadnaught

3 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

My Architect has specified 70mm thk. Kingspan Kooltherm K103 which has a U-Value of 0.17.  I was think about using 150mm with a U-value of 0.1 but is it worth the extra money

3 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

If you haven't done so, consider thermal modelling of your building, even just a little

FWIW SAP says the difference in central England is about 4.4kWh per m2 per year

Mine was also 70 mil 

Spected by the architect Which I found strange As he was so precise on the type of block and u values 

We put 150 kingspan down Main reason behind was that it is one of those things that you can never change at a later date