Internal Finishes when no cill - help please

Weebles

Due to an error (mine) when ordering the windowsills and forgetting that our garage walls are thinner than the house walls we have ended up with our garage window almost flush to the internal wall. How can we finish this internal detail so it looks neat? The plaster goes to the corner of the wall but the reveal is simply the plasterboard edge.

It’s only the inside of the garage but it would be nice to finish it properly rather than leave the bare plasterboard edge which I guess we cannot paint straight onto?

any suggestions?

83C41B13-054B-4331-815F-C5A453AA5AE9.jpeg

80DFC141-D5B1-49A3-A6DD-BDD64C3A74D4.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Weebles said:

Due to an error (mine) when ordering the windowsills and forgetting that our garage walls are thinner than the house walls we have ended up with our garage window almost flush to the internal wall. How can we finish this internal detail so it looks neat? The plaster goes to the corner of the wall but the reveal is simply the plasterboard edge.

It’s only the inside of the garage but it would be nice to finish it properly rather than leave the bare plasterboard edge which I guess we cannot paint straight onto?

any suggestions?

83C41B13-054B-4331-815F-C5A453AA5AE9.jpeg

80DFC141-D5B1-49A3-A6DD-BDD64C3A74D4.jpeg

It’s only a garage 

BUT If you wanted a very neat finish You could stick a strip of PB on the bare edge butted up against the frame Staple skim beads on the edge and give it a couple of coats of joint cement or easifill 

Then sand 

• Thanks 1

Take inspiration from the Georgians.

Following the 1774 London Building Act window frames had to be fully set back inside the wall so that in the event of a fire a sash window would not fall out into the street below. As a consequence window frames were near flush with the internal wall finish... the things you learn doing a new build in a conservation area.

ArtistsResidence6.jpg

Sash window history here.

http://www.theheritagedirectory.co.uk/viewarticle.asp?artid=49

• Like 1

can you not just plaster it square into the window? will leave a nice simple clean line. there is also nothing stopping you fitting timber ingoes and facings, i have also seen mdf with a pencil round fitted that protrudes out past the plasterboard by about 5-10mm then the wall is just plastered upto the back of it, how is the rest of the house finished? might look weird to have this different