Hello from South Wales

keyz182

Hi all, found this forum through Google when trying to look up some planning permission details.

We've got a brick shed (2.8m tall) at the back of our property (directly on the property line, so definitely within 2m). The roof is in quite the state, so we'd like to take it down and replace the roof. Out planned replacement would put it under 2.5m.

After doing some reading up, the one thing I can't seem to find an answer on with regards to permitted development is if the initial structure falls outside the permitted development rules, but the final doesn't, is that allowed, or does it require planning permission?

Would we need planning if we kept the roof the same shape/size, using the same tiles, just replacing the frame?

We spoke to our local council, but they just pointed us to the guidelines doc (somewhat impenetrable legalese) and said they weren't allowed to give us advice.

Thanks!

So...

As long as you're not in a conservation area, removing the roof and replacing it with another timber/slate/tiles would not require any PP or Building Regs as long as its under 30sqm total size.

In general repairs to a roof do not need planning permission even if they involve taking the whole roof off and replacing it.  However repair means replacing it with something that is virtually identical (at least on the outside).  If you want to do more than repairs and actually make significant changes (eg to the size, shape, height, and possibly colour etc) then you would need to check if the end result will be within permitted development. If it would be within permitted development then planning permission is not required.

6 minutes ago, keyz182 said:

if the initial structure falls outside the permitted development rules, but the final doesn't, is that allowed, or does it require planning permission? 

If the original building is more than 10 years old it then it does not matter if it was built with permission or without and is outside permitted development rules. After 10 years the planners can no longer take enforcement action for the original breach of planning. You can repair it without needing to change anything to make it comply.  But make sure you take photos, ideally with height poles, so you can prove the height/location hasn't been changed should anyone question it later.  If you are the sort of person that likes paperwork in order, you could apply for a certificate of lawfulness on the grounds that they cannot take enforcement action after 10 years. They would be unable to refuse this if you can prove it's been in breech for more than 10 years (in some cases they only have 4 years). 

9 minutes ago, keyz182 said:

Would we need planning if we kept the roof the same shape/size, using the same tiles, just replacing the frame?

No. See above _repairs_ do not need planning permission.

14 minutes ago, keyz182 said:

We've got a brick shed (2.8m tall) at the back of our property (directly on the property line, so definitely within 2m). 

Neighbours can be funny about "overhangs". Officially nothing can overhang a property boundary without permission of the neighbour. However many properties have such overhangs with nothing in writing. If you are removing part of the roof that currently overhangs with a new roof that overhangs make sure it doesn't overhang further.  Best keep on good terms. Let them know your plans to repair the roof "so it doesn't blow off and land in their garden etc".

If you need to demolish and rebuild the whole building then the answers above might be different.  

Humm. Ok I've just found this which contradicts what I've said above. Apparently what I've said above applies to the roof of your house but not an outbuilding. 

https://www.self-build.co.uk/question/is-complete-roof-replacement-on-an-outbuilding-permitted-development-and-does-it-require-a-building-regulations-application/

Is complete roof replacement on an outbuilding permitted development and does it require a building regulations application?
15 February 2016

I have an existing 21m2 concrete outbuilding in my back garden with flat (slightly pitched) corrugated sheet concrete roof. It forms a boundary with my neighbour on one side and is just over 3m high but was built decades ago. The roof is beyond repair so I intend to replace the entire roof structure with a fibre glass roof system which will mean adding additional structural support. It will continue to be used incidentally. Is replacing the entire roof permitted development and would I need to submit an application to building regs prior to starting work?

Answers

As the building is over 2.5m tall, and within 2m of the boundary, it does not fall within permitted development rights. Replacing the roof will therefore need formal planning permission.

Roof covering renewal is one of the activities covered under the competent person’s scheme so if a proficient person is contracted for the work there is no need to notify building control as the tradesperson will be certified as fully qualified for the job in hand. You’ll find similar schemes for replacement windows (FENSA), boilers (Gas Safe and OFTEC) and other types of home improvement. Go to www.competentroofer.co.uk to find someone in your area who qualifies. You will receive a certificate of compliance at the end of the project.

Mike Dade (planning consultant and Build It expert)

13 May 2016

Ok so despite the above I still think you can apply for a certificate of lawfulness (to effectively get retrospective planning permission for the building) then repair the roof without needing further planning permission.