Wet UFH System- Nu-heat, U-Heat?

zoe61

So in the process of ordering the wet UFH system, thing is I've had a mixture of quotes (supply only).

At the top end of the scale is Nu-heat, they say that there system is insurance backed, so should it not be warm enough etc they will pay for the remedial works, it also comes with a manual and specific pipe layout.

At less that half the price I have a quote from U-Heat, no manual, no insurance and a rough pipe layout drawing.

Any suggestions, advice on which i should go for? Do I need the manuals and specific drawing? Or am I getting ripped off? Is the U-Heat system good?

Also when installing do I need a pipe decoiler or can I make some makeshift thing on site?

Thanks

How practical are you? Will you be installing yourself or paying someone to install it.

The very cheapest way is just buy the manifolds, pipe etc and just fit it yourself.

Do can run the layout program LoopCad for something like 30 days on a free trial to plan your layout, you only need to do that once. But you will first need to know the actual heating requirement of the house so you can choose the pipe spacing  Get all your information gathered before activating the trial period.

What type of floor make up is it going in?

Ok I've emailed Wunda for a quote.

In terms of pipe spacing what have people installed there's at when they have undertaken the calcs? the quotes so far have assumed 200mm, is this roughly correct?

Yes fairly practical, undertaken the majority of the work so far so I'm hoping the UFH shouldn't be too hard. My only concern is the pressure testing!

Is this new build in the screed or retrofit (inc overlay boards)?

+1 for Wunda, and if you're pretty handy its a relatively simple job to do yourself.

Spacing wise, it depends on the diameter and heat output of the pipe, and also the heatloss of the room. I have wunda overlay boards @ 150mm centres in both exisitng and new areas of the house. Half the ground floor is the original house built in the 90's so reasonably well insulated (although not particularly well built....but that's a whole other story!!!) and the rest new build. The UFH keeps it all nice and cosy even with two 4m wide sets of bi-folds in the kitchen/dining area.

Pressure testing is not an issue if you have good mains pressure (3-4bar minimum). Its so that you can check the UFH pipe for any leaks etc but unless you've been super careless or its been damaged then you wont find a leak. Connect mains to the system to fill and check the pressure.

Pipe decoiler...............definitely get one. I started without one and one room with 65m of pipe was a real pain even with 2 of us. I boght a de-coiler from Wunda and the other 700mm of pipe have gone in like a breeze, even doing it on my own! A classic lesson (which being a cheapskate I never seem to learn from!!) of having the right tools and equipment for the job.

And finally, be prepared to adapt any pipe layout plan either you (LoopCad) or the UFH company produce as in my experience it never quite works!

Good luck

It's a conversion, but existing floor is a concrete slab, we are installing 140mm PIR insulation, 3 walls are effectively basement walls, that I'm putting 100mm insulation on which is massive overkill according to u-values but we had lots so might aswell use it. The front exposed wall does have quite a bit of glass in it (double glazed), but all in all I think our heat loss should be quite low!