socket set

lizzie

well --yes it is cheap and cheerful 

universal tools usually fit everything  poorly --but your not a mechanic -so light use could be ok

down side will be for smaller bolts outside size of the socket unit could get in the way .#

but your not guddling in confined spaces of an engine probably.

put it this way a  single 13mm comb spanner from snap -on is £40 .

not that i use them --you can loose  an expensive one just as easy  as a cheap one

I use cheap spanners -and except that maybe in a couple of years they could be worn --and no one steals cheap ones

screw drivers +pliers /side cutters + mole grips  --yes i spend a bit more on them 

• Thanks 1

@lizzie, you're just like everyone else. You have to start somewhere. 

You'll use them, and often they'll be fine, and sometimes you'll whisper sweet nothings under your breath because [.... fill in the reason here ....]  and when you're next in a shed or Halfords or somewhere like that  and you see an offer, you'll buy them - because  ' I just need them, and they were on offer anyway ?

Just like wimmin need  an apple corer (when hands and knife will do)  or a potato flagellator (when a fork will do) ...... 

• Haha 1

That will probably perform badly.

You can get cheap "proper" socket sets e.g this is probably the bottom end of the market https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Socket-Set-40pce-Metric-Imperial-AF-Sockets-Ratchet-Reducers-3-8-1-4-Drive/182463732218?epid=2254731687&hash=item2a7baf99fa:g:6PwAAOSw2gxYrXj9

I have 2 such cheap socket sets (not identical but similar in scope) and as long as you don't try and shift a completely seized nut, they have done good service for a DIY mechanic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If i was asked to suggest  cheap set  for all round use then 

you want one that goes from 8mm -to 22m  3/8 drive only 

that will cover most things  add to that a set of comb spanners that cover same range and you got a good start

I bought some of these a while ago -

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-extra-long-ratchet-spanner-double-ended-8mm-19mm-socket-adapters-AT540/123024120058?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D56580%26meid%3D5960d59333af403dbf09b610ad5d2bf9%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D141594486824%26itm%3D123024120058&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

-i call them my old mans spanners --very long so you can get a good swing without being very strong- you use ring end to crack the  bolt then swop ends 

feeling my age sometimes with some jobs --they have 15mm +18mm which are getting very common --a lot of sets miss these out 

-

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Thanks 1

Re cheap socket sets. I find the sockets themselves are ok but the ratchet in handle fails or falls apart. When you buy a replacement handle it won't fit in the box.  Oh and the catch on the box will fail and all your sockets will fall out and disappear to the bottom of the tool box or roll under the car :-) 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I got this set as a secret santa and am very impressed with it.  Just remember these kind of sets aren't for taking off the  car wheel. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-SL25-Socket-Piece-Drive/dp/B000Y8XCA8?ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_4026266031

Exactly that set lives permanently in my main tool bag. Worth its weight in gold.

You are not a mechanic using it every day, it’s what I would call a “just in case tool”. Be interested to hear how you get on with it, I would consider keeping one of these in the car “in case”. I also do my own mechanics and have a full tool box fir that.

• Like 1