Shower screen needed.

The shower enclosure is now tiled and will be grouted in the next day or two.  So we are looking for a shower screen.  The local BM has one in their catalogue for about £350 and is 8mm thick, 1950mm high and 1000mm wide.  Similar to this one.  But on a couple of posts it was suggested to go to a glass merchant and get one made up.  How easy is it to get the wall trim and support bars if we went down that route?  Or would it be far easier to just go to the BM and order the correct one there?  I have not asked for a price for just the glass but would expect it to be less that £350. any thoughts or advice?

image.png.0307e77a2ed0285a8ce848c236bf6f3a.png

I normally go for trade outlets on eBay for showers and baths.

For a shower screen it should be more like £100 than £350 imo as they have become commodities. I think the components could be from the same source if you need spares.

Others may have different views.

Eg example not recommendation https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wet-Room-Glass-Screen-Panel-Walk-In-Shower-Enclosure-8mm-Easy-Clean-1900mm-High/272390674032

For me if they are available for that price I would probably not go to a local maker unless I was after half a dozen or it had to be custom. I am bathroom refurbing this year ... blog tomorrow am ... and mine is custom, so I will try and reuse it whilst turning the wet room alcove into a shower. 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I normally go for trade outlets on eBay for showers and baths.

For a shower screen it should be more like £100 than £350 imo. I think the components could be from the same source if you need spares.

Others may have different views.

Eg example not recommendation https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wet-Room-Glass-Screen-Panel-Walk-In-Shower-Enclosure-8mm-Easy-Clean-1900mm-High/272390674032

Ferdinand

That looks really good at £84 for the size we need.  And as they have 99.8% positive feedback, I am very tempted. 

I would say take the time to check out a few others, just to be sure. You may be able to find one which includes your wall mount track.

Would your local BM price match to that extent?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

I bought ours from eBay!  It's exactly like the one in your photo, @TheMitchells, with the same style fixings.  I can't find the seller right now, but it's an 8mm coated glass panel 900mm wide, and came with all the fixings.  The coated glass is worth having in my opinion, as it "self-cleans", which means no more scrubbing the glass to keep it looking shiny.  This is ours, installed:

5746b2101427d_Bathroom1shower.thumb.JPG.a03dc901550b00844ed4a5ca2a3f69ae.JPG

8 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I bought ours from eBay!  It's exactly like the one in your photo, @TheMitchells, with the same style fixings.  I can't find the seller right now, but it's an 8mm coated glass panel 900mm wide, and came with all the fixings.  The coated glass is worth having in my opinion, as it "self-cleans", which means no more scrubbing the glass to keep it looking shiny.  This is ours, installed:

That looks great.  I have sent a question to the seller to ask if it includes the wall mount track.  And I shall definately go for the self clean types.  thanks - gives me the confidence to use Ebay or Amazon.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/glazing-channel-8mm-glass-polished-stainless-steel-717136

https://www.kerolhardware.co.uk/shower-u-channels/shower-u-channels-for-8-10mm-glass.html

Certainly plenty of wall mounting tracks to buy if needed.  thats why I use this Forum - great advice and probably saving me a couple hundred pounds. Thanks!?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have the screen, bought online from Ebay company for £91. it arrived within a couple of days and looks fine.  we have attached the wall trim to the wall, sealing the back with clear sealant (Sikaflex EBT).

The glass appears to be held in place with a clear, plastic trim. As seen here on the right with the metal wall trim (which is now attached to the wall).  

IMG_20190402_134211.thumb.jpg.5e26b036ad3df9d6bfcd6994ca80dc5d.jpg

Is it recommended to use this?  We plan to put a bead of clear Sikaflex at the back of the wall trim before inserting the glass screen, then the clear plastic thing gets pushed in to stop the glass moving.  Is that right?  And what happens at the bottom of the screen where it sits on the shower tray - again, a clear bead of Sikaflex?

Shower enclosure so far..

IMG_20190402_134025.thumb.jpg.8c3ec762a31d4ed9b24fc5da5f4ca3f4.jpg  IMG_20190402_134047.thumb.jpg.71f8adfe647e92a2d6326eab3e89ed02.jpg

This be the type I have, other ones run across to the opposite wall. I wouldn’t want to just rely on the wall floor junctions being attached.

@Nickfromwales is your man but get it all sitting in place, dead flat at the floor junction (there’s room in the wall trim for out of square) and silicon on the outside onlyEFCE34C9-DF33-4754-982C-EC9FFF0DB0CA.thumb.jpeg.2a79bc2069d6e47b96f45551c6b6cbe2.jpeg 

Thanks for the plug @Simplysimon. I have also offered them on buildhub classifieds for free if collected - still clogging up space in my garage.

@TheMitchells the wall channel we screwed into the wall and the rubber seal prevents the glass from rattling around in it while providing a water-seal. No need for Sika - getting the glass to be completely square to the wall as well as level on the floor is not likely to happen, so the channel and seal provide for 'latitude' when fitting. Also we found our shower tray settled a few mm after a few months so the glass was able to slide down the channel.

On the bottom we left a gap of about 5mm and filled it with clear silicone. Works a treat and seals perfectly. Small, clear, wedges of some plastic were used to lift the glass as well as to level it.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would post a few photographs of the finished room.  We love it and the OH made a brilliant light/mirror after seeing what we could get for £140. luckily it was broken so we sent it back and he made his own. it has a sensor at the top, LED lights around the sides and the toothbrush holder is on the right.  The shower itself is great. Aqualisa with a control as you enter so no more cold wet arms.  Its is brilliant.  And it didnt even take that long to do - a few months........

IMG_20190713_012802.thumb.jpg.6cc9ef31c9fb2fa309c2fe934c0e0145.jpg

IMG_20190716_194539.thumb.jpg.fc74ac228e3c820dca7dc7a356dd25f4.jpg

IMG_20190716_194530.thumb.jpg.0598bdf1650481d0f36b05461ad55a62.jpg

IMG_20190626_173222.thumb.jpg.c4827092b679ee5ce5f192a9b50eb535.jpg

IMG_20190626_173206.jpg

• Like 5