Freezer Not Freezing

Freezer packed up! 

20190318_191726.thumb.jpg.ed068dcfab204421ac1e473c4a86df17.jpg

Temp at around 10deg. Switching to Super Freeze drops it to about -2 and compressor seems to kick in. Thinking evaporator fan maybe duff? As I understand it on Super Freeze compressor runs constantly?

SWMBO reckons the freezer has "been making weird noises lately". The usual ruse to get a new one. She HATES it when I fix a domestic appliance! :)

Can't seem to find the fan motor as a spare yet. Might get a number off it when I access it. 

Left SWMBO decanting anything salvageable to friends and family and cooking anything that can be.

Tomorrow night's job. Bed now!

Told her to buy a Bosch all those years ago! :(

Edited by Onoff

We have one freezer that every now and again makes a funny noise for a while.  It is a sign it’s about to go wrong.  Then it just stops freezing.  I empty it all out, turn it off, give it a clean, talk nicely to it and turn it back on.  It works fine again for another 6’months.  Weird I know and i’ve never confessed to anyone else that my freezer does this as I know no one else would believe me - they’d think i’d cracked up. Strange but true though.

Is it a posh one with a display and an error code?

Agree a thorough defrost is the first thing.  Freezers that use fans are prone to the fan icing up and jamming so a simple defrost may be all you need.

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is it a posh one with a display and an error code?

Agree a thorough defrost is the first thing.  Freezers that use fans are prone to the fan icing up and jamming so a simple defrost may be all you need.

Cheap as chips no error code display. 

I'll drag it out and take a look tonight with a meter; stat, relay, cap etc along with the fan. SWMBO started defrosting it Monday morning so chances are if the fan blades were frozen they weren't by the time I got home. 

44 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Our Beco fridge freezer does the same. Cheap c$$p, 

Looking at Samsung,

Sharp or a cheap Bosch if replacement is required. Want 274L capacity minimum.

One of my fridge freezers is annoyingly noisy off and on makes a sort of buzzing noise. It still works though so I haven’t done anything about it. Having looked it up I think it’s probably the compressor but given that it’s not something I can fix I will just wait for it to die and get a new one. Assume it won’t burst into flames or anything? 

We went through all the "fun" of buying a new FF for the new kitchen,  we didn't want anything as big as the American FF's wanted an upright fridge above freezer.  The only one that cut it was a Becko that was 700mm wide.  Almost all of the uprights are only 600mm wide and did not seem big enough.

Unfortunately the Becko is noisy, not only is the compressor noise more than I would have liked, but it creaks and cracks as it is cooling. Not so bad now we have the separate living room so I don't have to put up with it's noise while having a peaceful evening.

It's a shame you can't view FF's in a "listening room" like a decent hifi shop so you could turn your chosen model on and hear what it really sounds like.

The LG side by side American FF that we had at the old house I have to say was one of the quietest FF's I have ever heard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

On the subject of noisy of fridge freezers: https://www.quietmark.com/products/home/kitchen/refrigeration

Is that a reliable source of information on quiet appliances or a glorified advertising portal I wonder. 

What an odd website.

You can sort by make, alphabetical order etc, but NOT by order of which is the quietest.

Isn't that somewhat missing the point?

Don’t underestimate some of the own brand stuff. Curry’s Logix is rebranded Haier / Kenwood / other stuff and I’m impressed with one of the side by side frodge freezers. It’s an 800 wide rather than 700 and has double doors on both fridge and freezer that makes it easy to get stuff in and out of without a huge door swinging across you..!

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yes. Said she can barely manage with the size we have (274L).

She’s probably like me. I have 3 freezers and they’re always full. If I had a 4th freezer that would be full too ?

So I take it you didn’t read those links ...

“At this price level do not expect good or long lasting appliances as you are likely to be disappointed.”

In other words they haven’t actually reviewed them ... or have any meaningful feedback ..!

Kenwood is rebranded Hisense, as are a few of these. 

UK Whitegoods used to be a decent source of info and parts but they have become less of the info and more about reselling parts from China at prices not far off what you can buy from mainstream providers. 

And as they  don’t actually sell Logik spares, why would they promote them ..??!

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

So I take it you didn’t read those links ...

“At this price level do not expect good or long lasting appliances as you are likely to be disappointed.”

In other words they haven’t actually reviewed them ... or have any meaningful feedback ..!

Kenwood is rebranded Hisense, as are a few of these. 

UK Whitegoods used to be a decent source of info and parts but they have become less of the info and more about reselling parts from China at prices not far off what you can buy from mainstream providers. 

And as they  don’t actually sell Logik spares, why would they promote them ..??!

You must have read it different to how I did!

"their track record on reliability thus far has been nothing short of abysmal".

"repair trade at least think that these appliances are not great from what we've seen so far"

Tbh I've nothing but praise for UK Whitegoods.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

We went through all the "fun" of buying a new FF for the new kitchen,  we didn't want anything as big as the American FF's wanted an upright fridge above freezer.  The only one that cut it was a Becko that was 700mm wide.  Almost all of the uprights are only 600mm wide and did not seem big enough.

Unfortunately the Becko is noisy, not only is the compressor noise more than I would have liked, but it creaks and cracks as it is cooling. Not so bad now we have the separate living room so I don't have to put up with it's noise while having a peaceful evening.

It's a shame you can't view FF's in a "listening room" like a decent hifi shop so you could turn your chosen model on and hear what it really sounds like.

The LG side by side American FF that we had at the old house I have to say was one of the quietest FF's I have ever heard.

We bought an AEG FF three or four years ago, chosen on the basis of size and efficiency.  It's the most noisy FF we've ever had.  The compressor doesn't seem any louder than any other, just a gentle hum when it's running, but the clonks, creaks, groans and other weird noises the thing makes are really noticeable.  It's often the noisiest thing in the house, and even though we're used to it making weird sounds, it's still irritating.

I've been told (when I complained about the noise the thing made) that the noises are a side effect of the changes made to improve efficiency and get a better rating (IIRC it's a A++ model) although I've no idea if that is actually the case.

39 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I've been told (when I complained about the noise the thing made) that the noises are a side effect of the changes made to improve efficiency and get a better rating (IIRC it's a A++ model) although I've no idea if that is actually the case.

I smell BS in that statement.

It sounds like yours is just like ours.  Obviously as they start up some bits will warm up and some bits will cool down and I believe it is just expanding and contracting parts moving against each other causing the creaks cracks and groans.  Just strikes me as poor or at least can't be bothered, design.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I smell BS in that statement.

It sounds like yours is just like ours.  Obviously as they start up some bits will warm up and some bits will cool down and I believe it is just expanding and contracting parts moving against each other causing the creaks cracks and groans.  Just strikes me as poor or at least can't be bothered, design.

Might be BS, but the noises are quite distinct.  There's a definite "clunk" from a valve of some kind, which isn't related to the compressor being on, as far as I can tell.  After this there are then liquid gurgling noises, which I think must be flow noise from the liquid phase part of the refrigerant.  The squeaks sound a bit like a restriction in the flow somewhere, and I suspect they may come from the throttling valve.  From what I've been able to glean, one of the ways that they've improved the efficiency rating is to alter the expansion valve aperture on the fly, so that it's at the optimum setting for any particular condition.