Freezer Not Freezing

@Onoff

For a big one have you considered a commercial freezer as for a restaurant or shop?

eg https://www.alexanders-direct.co.uk/refrigeration/chest-freezers just for an example. Best seller there is 476 litres for under £500.

If you are really after saving money there are auction sites as sometimes quoted here for secondhand tools. They also have freezers .. we bought one for the gym for stock.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Having a look now...

4uF cap climbs to circa 3.8uF.

On / off switch works ok but (green) neon duff. Compressor (Danfoss) does not start.

20190319_184259.thumb.jpg.94b974c358062b25a87c9658d0db50f7.jpg

Switching fast freeze (orange neon) on "*" and compressor starts.

I assume that fast freeze just bypasses the stat.

Switching on and stat gets 230V on the brown. Nothing on the black or white. Turning the stat makes no difference and there's also no audible "click".

White btw just goes to the low temp lamp between the fast freeze switch and thermometer. When the freezer failed it didn't come on! :(

With the on switch "on" then switching the fast freeze on and I get 230V at the black. This then goes down to the  control relay on the side of the compressor. Compressor runs and gets hot.

Looks like the stat is duff then to me.

20190319_184342.thumb.jpg.910bdd3e3aa39c02ab6c8871650121f4.jpg

20190319_184549.thumb.jpg.483994079a1d3ecc6ef1b8f91bc58ebf.jpg

20190319_185512.thumb.jpg.9ed8074d141eaa1560fd8bacc8425bdf.jpg

Edited by Onoff

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I assume with fast freeze on and the compressor running, the freezer gets cold?

If so buy a new stat.

Yep appears to. Result!

Looking now. Capillary nom 800mm long.

5 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

^that's for a larder fridge or fridgefreezer Dave, the cut-in temp is +3.5C. I think it's the VS/VL5 you need for a standalone freezer, cut-in is -12C...

Sorry I should have checked.  My search was for "freezer thermostat" not "Fridge thernostat" so arguably it is listed wrong?

I think it's this:

Lists it as an equivalent for the 007B2228 albeit with 1100 rather than the original 850mm capilliary:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=283001312043&category=184666&pm=1&ds=0&t=1553027435910&cspheader=1

Then going by the 631237 part number a bit closer to home:

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es929226?

Edited by Onoff

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Are these specs for the stat OK for the freezer?

Temperaturen: 
kalt aus: -30,0° C 
kalt ein: -23,0° C 
warm aus: -23,0° C 
warm ein: -17,0° C

So it has about 6 degrees hysteresis between turning on and off, and you can adjust it between a (mean) temperature of -27 and -20

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

So it has about 6 degrees hysteresis between turning on and off, and you can adjust it between a (mean) temperature of -27 and -20

Um...so is it the right one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermostat-077B2289-Danfoss-Gorenje-631237/222525840210?epid=1766688363&hash=item33cf92db52:g:iL0AAOSwK6RZKVh9

@recoveringacademic, have ein look for me would you pls? I want a 007B2228 part number 631237. I THINK this part from Germany equates.

Cheers

The new stat, from the German supplier should be arriving tomorrow. When I've replaced stat before (twice in 30 years?) I've just used plain ordinary silicone to seal where the capilliary comes through the back of the fridge. Would CT1 or intumescent be better?

• 10 months later...

A really full defrost can help. We do it once a year in the summer. Our fridge is over 5 years old, the only thing I have in it is a light bulb inside :) If you don't take electronics into account, all fridges are the same, expensive or cheap.

Are you sure it's the motor that's the problem? You can give it to the masters if you have difficulty finding the cause of the breakdown, I do not think you will pay much for the repair, unless it is impossible and you really have to buy a new one. Many things can always be repaired, not thrown away.

@Onoff

We could swap. I've got a fridge. Spare one in the outside room used for drinks and bits...

Problem is it started freezing in the last 2 months. Tried every setting possible and still not a change in sight. I don't know exact temperature but I know all my Beer was frozen and can t keep any liquids in there (apart from Vodka)

It's a full size fridge. Would like it to be a fridge rather than a freezer.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Looks like this is a really old thread that's been resurrected from last year for some reason.

True. It just popped up and I got pi**ed off with my fridge so didn't look into the date on it.