Creaking floor & Impact noise

vk108

Hi, 

I have read a topic on Creaking floor & Impact noise  on this forum, but I could not find it now. Could some one send me the link please. I am designing at the moment just wanted make sure, I can avoid Creaking floors & Impact noise at design stage

I assume this it timber framed house. You could have a liquid screed to the upper floor. The cheapest and very effective option is resilient bar and double slab plasterboard on ground floor ceiling with rockwool fitted in the void. Make sure the deck on the first floor is glued and screwed in place not just nailed. Carpet upstairs is also your friend.

Check out the Robust detail handbook. It covers everything you will need to know.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Creaking floors are usually the result of nailing, not screwing, the floorboards down, and not using any glue.

Even some of our floors that were screwed down squeak (although far less than the ones that didn't get screws).

The glue is the key, imo. I believe Egger board suggest only fixing one end of their boards with screws and using adhesive-only everywhere else.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex C said:

The cheapest and very effective option is resilient bar and double slab plasterboard on ground floor ceiling with rockwool fitted in the void.

That won't do a great deal for the impact noise, the most effect method is a floating floor via resilient layer under floor, or carpet with a decent underlay.

Edited by Moonshine

40 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Next house we do will have joists every 400mm, boards glued and screwed down.  mad not to use sound insulation in the floor & 15mm PB isn't much more than 12.5mm.

The next house I do will either have a liquid screen upstairs, or use structural concrete for the upstairs floor. The impact noise in my house drives me mental.

8 minutes ago, jack said:

The next house I do will either have a liquid screen upstairs, or use structural concrete for the upstairs floor. The impact noise in my house drives me mental.

So you've ruled out a bungalow then Jack :)

16 minutes ago, jack said:

With a bit of practice you will soon be able to glide in your 9 inch stilettos so don't give up just yet. 

7 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

With a bit of practice you will soon be able to glide in your 9 inch stilettos so don't give up just yet. 

All those tips you gave me haven't worked. I think you're a better glider than a teacher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bitpipe said:

And there is the solution to your problem. Build your next house when the kids leave home :)

That's the plan. More time, more money, and no forwarding address for the kids.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jack said:

Concrete with a floating floor will give so so so so much better performance that significant majority of timber floor

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

Question from ignorance: is is possible to have a concrete (first) floor in a timber-frame house (such as with an MBC frame)?

(Its not relevant for my first build as its a bungalow but already thinking ahead…)

Not as a structural upper floor, but you can have a screed or use ScreedBoard overlay.

• Thanks 1

The key is the glue Lots of it 

Gun nailing is absolutely fine 

As long as you use a ring nail 

and making sure there is a good exspansion gap around the perimeter 

Mine are I joists set at 600

To make them more solid I counter battened the underside with 100 x 25 at 400 centres 

140 mtrs of flooring 

not a squeak to be heard 

I know my wife got quite upset at the amount of glue dribbling down the joists 

Doesn’t look great at the time 

But does the trick 

I second lots of glue on egger board and joists at 400 centres, we have no squeaks whatsoever, I do wish however that I had double boarded the ceilings downstairs or used resilience bars as voice can be heard between floors more than I would have liked and we do have 100mm sound insulation in the void.