connecting a treatment tank

Simplysimon

hi Guys,

i've been told that there is now a maximum distance for the electrical connection to the treatment tank, it was mentioned from the mains, 5m was mentioned but the tanks should be further. contacting building control to check but thought i'd get a better, more accurate and faster answer here. i didn't want to place the tank to find the regs have changed.

cheers

In terms of the length of cable, then I'm not aware of any changes.  There's nothing in the 18th Ed that mentions treatment plants, let alone the length of any cable.  At a guess I reckon the run to ours is probably around 20m of buried SWA, as it takes a route around the boundary, along with a couple of other power cables.

Where have you heard of this new 5m limit?

In Scotland the tank mist be sited at least 5 metres from a building or boundary, and 10 metres from a watercourse.

There is no limit on the electrical connection, that is just a case of choosing the right size cable for the load, but the load on a typical air blower treatment plant is very small so it would be hard to imagine a situation where the cable length was too long to cause excessive voltage drop.

I wonder if he's referring to the distance from the treatment plant to the outlet/connection box into which the pump connects?  I fitted an outdoor (IP66) double gang outlet in the pump housing for our treatment plant, so that the air pump etc could just plug in.  I can't recall how long the cable on the air pump was as supplied, but doubt it was as long as 5m, but anyway the termination for the cable that supplies the treatment plant needs to be close by, ideally inside the box that houses the pump, as I doubt that the pump flex is rated for outdoor exposure.

1 hour ago, Simplysimon said:

the person who is going to install. i would have been surprised had it been the case, but i thought it best to check

cheers both

Sounds like a "misinterpratation" of something. Just had mine done and its more than 5m away!