What can I have?

Danny68

Hi all, situation is as follows about to commit to Half an acre of glorious slope ?, at the moment there is a (colt) building circa 50yrs old on the plot with a little extension one end and a garage attached the other end  it has gas, main drains and a brick chimney total size about 110sqmtrs also with in 5 meters is another shed totalling 24sqm .  It's semi rural protected trees in front and back and has an established entrance to access the property. Both buildings either side are considerably bigger now my question is what size house / bungalow am I likely be allowed to build And would this require planning permission.

Thanks in advance. 

A few questions first:

What part of the country?

Is the land green belt, SSSI, AONB, national park etc. etc.

What is the planning permission on the building and is there an agricultural tie on it?  For example - next door to us is a “stable”.  They have permission for a stable and built a very sturdy stable.  Then put doors and windows into it and tried to live in it - permission was refused and enforcement served.

I’m sure others with some advice will be along soon.

You don't tell us much about the building.

The important thing is, is it lived in as a dwelling presently and has been used as that for a number of years.  If yes, then even if it does not have planning for use as a dwelling you should be able to get a certificate of lawful development to confirm residential status.

If it has only been used e.g as a workshop, store, agricultural building then you need change of use first which may or may not be possible.,

• Like 1

Assuming that the building has permission as a dwelling (or you are able to prove that it has been lived in as a dwelling for the required number of years to enable you to get permission, you would then need to know if permitted development rights have been removed.  All green belt land round here, or New Forest National park land, has permitted development rights removed as far as I can tell so anything we do, has to have permission. 

Lots of questions for you and no answers unfortunately:

• Like 1

You should be able to add up all the ground floor areas of the building or 1.5 times the orgininal ( what it was in 1954 or as built if after) house. We are in London GB + AONB and both us and our neighbours have used one or other of these routes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

How long is a piece of string? 

Tell us what research you have already done for yourself.

Admittedly done little research,checked  past pp around the area and there seems to be a lot objections to everything, saying that most things seem to get through. The house for a better word was most definitely lived in for a number of years, even has gch and air con. 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Ring the Council up and ask them what their policy is in general terms without identifying the site or perhaps even yourself. "Joe Bloggs here".

Will do that cheers

37 minutes ago, Randomiser said:

Danny68

Are you happy to share which local authority area it is in?  If so it would be much easier for people to find the policies that apply and comment on them.

Randomiser.

Not until the inks dry ?, but I do appreciate you trying to help. 

1 minute ago, Danny68 said:

Not until the inks dry ?, but I do appreciate you trying to help. 

OK, fair enough.  But to be honest I think it is a bit of a risk putting pen to paper without knowing what the planning policies are that will determine what you can do with the site.

Best of luck.

Randomiser.

I know where we are is unusual but this picture is of the “stable” next door to us.  The owner of the land next door has just died and his nieces and nephews are all fighting over the land.  They all have dreams of selling in the land for a huge profit because of the potential self build possibilities.  A neighbour further up had a small parcel of land next to them up for sale. They would listen to all the potential buyers visiting the site, planning where the house would sit, where the garden shed would go etc.etc.

Neither plot will allow anyone to live on it.  Anyone looking at the stable next door would just assume that it could be replaced with a nice house.  Planner just say no.

5E8E3DA9-BE4E-4A3F-82AA-2B6377095E01.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sue B said:

I know where we are is unusual but this picture is of the “stable” next door to us.  The owner of the land next door has just died and his nieces and nephews are all fighting over the land.  They all have dreams of selling in the land for a huge profit because of the potential self build possibilities.  A neighbour further up had a small parcel of land next to them up for sale. They would listen to all the potential buyers visiting the site, planning where the house would sit, where the garden shed would go etc.etc.

Neither plot will allow anyone to live on it.  Anyone looking at the stable next door would just assume that it could be replaced with a nice house.  Planner just say no.

5E8E3DA9-BE4E-4A3F-82AA-2B6377095E01.jpeg

Maybe I'm taking too much on perceived logic and trust, but the fact it's had oil  (old tank in place) at one time and now has a Worcester Bosch gas boiler and even a small extension on the building plus 2 chimney stacks made me believe it wasn't an issue of letting me rebuild but more a case of how big I would be allowed (not that I want a mansion). The funny thing is the place resembles a scrap yard in many places and I'm quite prepared and looking forward to declutter the place and bring the land back to its natural habitat 

I’m giving you worst case scenario and the scrap scenario is probably more of a concern as it could indicate just who has owned the plot in the past if you get my drift - building a house and living in it without the required permissions would be common in my experience locally.  Hence us all telling you to ask the local planners - albeit without too much information given out.

Edited by Sue B