Disabled access

nod

I’ve spent the afternoon making a ramp to satify the disabled part of our sign off

Ofcoutse it isn’t perminant but it should sufice Til we start the paving in the summer 

I’ve already had a couple of skateboard jibes 

C2D47B9D-06B1-433D-AFD5-9CF5C6960458.jpeg

566098BD-1072-4E49-966B-4A14A1CBC1F0.jpeg

07128FC8-158B-4DDE-8355-7627C04851C7.jpeg

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Best of luck if that will do it. It would not in Scotland.

I’m not sure why Dave 

The remit I was give was a 1-20 slope 

With a level 1200 x1200 platform in front of the door 

All with a nonslip surface 

No mention of material to be used

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Best of luck if that will do it. It would not in Scotland.

13 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Got the urinal set at the right angle too. Top man!

My inspector would have needed that urinal to prevent himself from peeing his pants through laughing! :D As @ProDave says no way would that get signed off up here. 

Good luck to you if it works out though. I can't help thinking that's actually more of a trip hazard that just a step up. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, newhome said:

My inspector would have needed that urinal to prevent himself from peeing his pants through laughing! :D As @ProDave says no way would that get signed off up here. 

Good luck to you if it works out though. I can't help thinking that's actually more of a trip hazard that just a step up. 

Are Scottish regs so different 

I don’t know he might have more things to amuse himself when he’s looking round your build 

16 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Got the urinal set at the right angle too. Top man!

Let’s face it, a ramp that long may need, for a man “of a certain age”, a little rest and a pee stop half way up.  Just need a little picnic bench and my Dad would have been happy to use your ramp all day long.

• Haha 1

Just now, nod said:

I don’t know he might have more things to amuse himself when he’s looking round your build 

Different yes but mostly the same, it's just that the disabled access is one of the things they are really hot on up here. There are a ton of things he never checked here that seem a bit more important to me but that's the way of these things I guess. They all have their pet topics and up here the ramp thing is one of them. Pain in the ass to be honest. 

This has been in the back of my mind for a while. 

What do you think the chances are of this clause being applicable in my case?

There is no requirement to provide access for a wheelchair user to:

a house, between either the point of access to or from any car parking within the curtilage of a building and an entrance to the house where it is not reasonably practicable to do so, or

I'm hopeful that suspended timber floor and disability access would result in the ramp being so long that it would not be reasonably practicable.

Although a possible step solution or a small wall to bring the level up and create a gap might be another.

3 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

What do you think the chances are of this clause being applicable in my case?

They are pretty strict about needing one so don't rely on being exempt. Haven't you needed to show it on the plans? I had to snake mine up and down to meet the gradient requirements. 

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

They are pretty strict about needing one so don't rely on being exempt. Haven't you needed to show it on the plans? I had to snake mine up and down to meet the gradient requirements. 

It's on the plan so expecting it to be required.

But if you don't ask you don't get. 

Once I get the rendering done, painting done, scaffolding down, container can go, excavator can shift the hardcore to the back to build up the level to the limit the air bricks allow. I'll then know the size required and can work from there. 

@newhome what was the reason for the gradient requirement on your build?

5 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

@newhome what was the reason for the gradient requirement on your build?

As @nod says there is a maximum gradient allowed and there is a maximum ramp length too, so because of this and the rise from the pavement to the front door it meant that I needed 2 ramps connected together to make the required height. 

https://www2.gov.scot/resource/buildingstandards/2017Domestic/chunks/ch05s04.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nod said:

Scottish regs specifically exclude timber ramps that can later be removed.

1 minute ago, Thedreamer said:

@ProDave what's your plan for dealing with the extra height resulting from a suspended timber floor?

It does not pose a problem. Partly because we are on a sloping site so where the ramp has to end is higher than other outside areas.  I have a plan and a design of the ramp, I just need to get around to building it.

• Like 1

Yep agree with other "Scottish" contributors - we had to show a ramp and hand rail on our building plans. We had NO intention of having one installed because I knew we had sufficient space in which to gently raise the paving slabs to the height of the door which had a level access threshold fitted.

The drains Inspector was the same person who would be doing the final inspection, so we were lucky enough to keep him fully informed and also show him our intentions. At the time the drains were fitted, there was no sign of the ramp and he did enquire about it. This then led onto the conversation about the paving slabs etc. See image for final result which proved to be acceptable.

DSC01329 (2).JPG

• Like 1

We were told that the ramp had to be a "permanent structure", and that anything that looked as if it could be easily removed wouldn't be acceptable. 

A friend in East Yorkshire encountered exactly the same approach from his BCO; his fabricated metal ramp, with a chequer plate top, was rejected.  He ended up laying plastic sheeting down and then pouring a proper concrete ramp over his York stone steps to get his completion certificate,   Needless to say he carefully broke away the concrete and cleaned up the underlying steps once he'd got his completion certificate...

• Haha 1

Last house had a metre+ wide path down the side of house.  To create our disabled entrance we left the front door completely alone - it had the normal step up entrance.  We had folding sliding doors at the back of the house with a low threshold entrance.  We just made the pathway down the whole side of the house a slope.  Wheelchair access was therefor into the back of the house but it complied and was very useful for getting stuff in and out.

Yep I here what your saying 

I requested a visit from BC control a few months back The chap that covers our area was on holiday 

A young lady visited in is place 

She’s now the senior BC in our area Very keen and knowledgable 

She went through everything with us 

I told her planed a concrete flagged area as a temporary measure for the disabled access 

She asked WHY and suggested timber 

As long as it is 1-20 max fixed in place and of sound construction 

She went on to tell me the flat level platform at the top is the biggest problem 

Whith many builders sloping block paving upto the door with no level 1200 x1200 area at the top 

I realise that I haven’t build a £750000  home to put Somthing like that at the side door BC must realise this But I’ve followed the There rules 

i chuckled yesterday when when I visited the dentist They have an identical ramp in cast in concrete 

With a handrail 

Weve come in under budget We have 20 k ish due back in vat 

My wife plans to blow the lot on paving and landscaping her garden 

Who knows she may grow to love my ramp and decide to just scatter gravel round it 

45 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

We were told that the ramp had to be a "permanent structure", and that anything that looked as if it could be easily removed wouldn't be acceptable. 

A friend in East Yorkshire encountered exactly the same approach from his BCO; his fabricated metal ramp, with a chequer plate top, was rejected.  He ended up laying plastic sheeting down and then pouring a proper concrete ramp over his York stone steps to get his completion certificate,   Needless to say he carefully broke away the concrete and cleaned up the underlying steps once he'd got his completion certificate...

If that was the case I would challenge there decision 

I can’t see anywhere that says it needs to be concrete or any other material 

We will see 

I’m using local authority BC I found them much more diligent than private BC 

Most of the private BC companies are easily bullied by companies 

Pre plaster inspection Sbap a photo or check next door 

LA BC no chance We can’t even load plasterboards in till they are satisfied 

I i e said it before Best £700 I’ve spent on the build 

10 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

@ProDave what's your plan for dealing with the extra height resulting from a suspended timber floor?

No plan 

May fix handrail if required b BC 

To be honest I wouldn’t use that door for disabled acces 

We have bifolds and French doors around the back which have great access 

Park your car a couple of mtrs away 

BUT  BC wanted front or side 

Unassisted access