Public Liability Insurance for demolition only

I want to demolish the existing house on my plot this year but, given the issues with extending build Insurance policies, not start the Employers Liability & Public Liability Insurance for the new build until next year.  I'd like to take out Public liability insurance just for the period of the demolition independent of subsequent building insurance. I believe my contractor should provide Employers liability insurance for the demolition, I will not necessarily use the same contractor for the build.  Does anybody have any advice / experience of this situation and or know of providers of Public Liability insurance during demolition only?

47 minutes ago, squealeyhealey said:

I want to demolish the existing house on my plot this year but, given the issues with extending build Insurance policies, not start the Employers Liability & Public Liability Insurance for the new build until next year.  I'd like to take out Public liability insurance just for the period of the demolition independent of subsequent building insurance. I believe my contractor should provide Employers liability insurance for the demolition, I will not necessarily use the same contractor for the build.  Does anybody have any advice / experience of this situation and or know of providers of Public Liability insurance during demolition only?

I’ve public and employers liability for my business That covers five employees But any self employed trades must have there own

We use Sagar Pretty reasonable 

As selbuilders you need to stay away from employers liability 

If they are not being paid directly on PAYE by you They are not employed by you 

Itsperfectly reasonable of you to request a copy of a liability cert off anyone that is doing work for you 

When the old 714 tax exceptions where in use you had to provide a copy of a current PL cert 

Im not sure why they stoped 

Your demolition contractor I would expect to have public liability cover which would be OK for the demolition period (when I had quotes the contractors provided copy of insurance doc). BUT, what about after the demolition? If you do not have cover are you at risk from someone doing something stupid on your land resulting in a possible claim?

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2019 at 12:56, Adam2 said:

BUT, what about after the demolition? If you do not have cover are you at risk from someone doing something stupid on your land resulting in a possible claim?

I'm on my second year of a 'Land Liability policy' to cover third party claims against me.  The Insurer almost doubled the policy for the second year so it lapsed for a week or so, until they came back with a quote as per the first year!  The 'Land Liability policy' is not valid during building & I guess demolition.  I'd assumed that the policy will be valid again, once demolition has finished - guess I'll need to check.  I've not had any claims to date, maybe due to my Geriatric neighbour chasing off my wife, my daughter & her friend and then a couple of suspicious characters - OBS I've asked him not to put imself at risk!  I'm conscious that once the house is demolished the plot is likely to attract more attention from ne'er-do-well's!