Ground beam costs

Andrew

Looks like we are going to have piled foundations with a ring beam and an insulated block and beam floor. I've been gathering quotes for the piling, which has been challenging as there doesn't seem to be any local piling contractors. The only quote I've had which wasn't clearly a 'we don't want to do this' price seemed fine for the piling (at about £220 per pile + £900 mobilisation) but the price for the ring beam was higher than expected at almost £9k. 

The length of the ring beam is approx. 85 linear meters and the cross-section size is 350mm by 450mm. I make that around 14 m3 of concrete which SPONS tells me should be around £150 per m3 - £2100. There's the cost of the rebar, which SPONS prices per tonne, but being really conservative with my estimates that's an extra £1.5k. Which leaves £5.5k of labour. I should also mention the quote specifically says it assumes the concrete can be poured into a neatly dug trench (prepared by others) without the need for any temporary formwork (formwork is an extra £2,210 if required). 

So with that in mind, I'm looking for any thoughts on whether my feeling that the ring beam quote is expensive is valid or not. I'm trying to get more quotes but it's difficult in the piling black hole of South West Cheshire. 

• Like 1

Not sure what the concrete Mix is, But i've generally used closer to £100 per cube as n indicative cost. I stand to be corrected from anyone elses real world experience of course. Again real world I would frequently have to order a couple of cube a time, and that would push £160 occasionally, but only when very last minute and with additives like Xypex (no idea how it is spealt but I think its a waterproofing agent.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Looks like we are going to have piled foundations with a ring beam and an insulated block and beam floor. I've been gathering quotes for the piling, which has been challenging as there doesn't seem to be any local piling contractors. The only quote I've had which wasn't clearly a 'we don't want to do this' price seemed fine for the piling (at about £220 per pile + £900 mobilisation) but the price for the ring beam was higher than expected at almost £9k. 

The length of the ring beam is approx. 85 linear meters and the cross-section size is 350mm by 450mm. I make that around 14 m3 of concrete which SPONS tells me should be around £150 per m3 - £2100. There's the cost of the rebar, which SPONS prices per tonne, but being really conservative with my estimates that's an extra £1.5k. Which leaves £5.5k of labour. I should also mention the quote specifically says it assumes the concrete can be poured into a neatly dug trench (prepared by others) without the need for any temporary formwork (formwork is an extra £2,210 if required). 

So with that in mind, I'm looking for any thoughts on whether my feeling that the ring beam quote is expensive is valid or not. I'm trying to get more quotes but it's difficult in the piling black hole of South West Cheshire. 

Perhaps need to get several quotes 

You may find these vary wildly 

With most company’s being very busy for the foreseeable future Piices are high 

Just take Spons as a really rough guide Most suppliers and company’s don’t exspect to get any repeat business from you So will load your quote 

It May be worth sticking a deal with a concrete company for the whole job 

I was quote around £89 per cube 

But settled on £69 for the whole build 120 cube 

Every little bit helps 

It's not something i'd  ever looked into in a great deal of depth, but could it be worth doing a deal with a nearby house builder who are throwing up a massive estate. Just ask to speak with the project QS and if they know, like with NOD above you need 120 cube or what have you and can see a way of making that need, act as a bargaining chip for THEIR supply, could pay well for you. I used to carrot and stick a lot in the winter  particularly in cumbria/lake district with stone supply for Rail bridge hits, so it might seem odd but it can work if the requirement matches.

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I think that price @Andrew is about right mine was about 120m 450x450 I had quotes of about £12000. 

I did mine myself for about £7000

its very labour intensive and I had 2 quotes for the piling and they did not want to quote for the ring beam as they said it was not a good money earner. 

That’s really helpful, thanks Russell. Good to know I’ve got a decent quote on the table.

The variation in piling quotes is massive. Got one today for piling only which is 4x the best quote I’ve had. They clearly didn’t want to do the ground beam.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2019 at 17:29, Russell griffiths said:

I think that price @Andrew is about right mine was about 120m 450x450 I had quotes of about £12000. 

I did mine myself for about £7000

its very labour intensive and I had 2 quotes for the piling and they did not want to quote for the ring beam as they said it was not a good money earner. 

Russell

Was that £12,000 quote including formwork or just poured in trenches?  I have just had a quote at £110 per lm, but that is just pouring into trenches with no formwork.

Thanks in advance,

Randomiser.

On 15/03/2019 at 09:17, Andrew said:

Andrew

I am also looking at piling quotes at the moment.  My best quote for 150mm steel case driven piles works out at about £400 per 6m deep pile, including set up cost and pre-augering the first 3m.  That is close to twice your cost, so I wondered if you would mind sharing the size and depth of the piles that applies to.

Thanks in advance,

Randomiser.

Edited by Randomiser

59 minutes ago, Randomiser said:

I am also looking at piling quotes at the moment.  My best quote for 150mm steel case driven piles works out at about £400 per 6m deep pile, including set up cost and pre-augering the first 3m.  That is close to twice your cost, so I wondered if you would mind sharing the size and depth of the piles that applies to.

That's for 220mm diameter bottom-driven steel cased cast insitu reinforced concrete piles driven to an assumed depth not exceeding 6.0 linear meters. The price was for 33 piles @ £7722 plus £900 mobilisation, so that's £261 per pile all in. 

I've actually since had a cheaper quote, to the same pile specification, of £130.00 per pile up to 4m with £30 per meter per pile add-on for additional required depth. Mobilisation costs are £1200 with this one, so if we needed to go down to 6m that would be £226 per pile all in. 

There was no mention of pre-augering in the quotes I received - don't know if that's implied or unnecessary. Our ground is definitely not firm / stiff. 

My structural engineer has taken it upon himself to re-engineer the entire piling layout for 150mm piles so I'll be gathering some quotes for those soon. I did find a great variety in the quotes I received, the highest being about £600 per pile.

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

We had a few quotes and ignoring the silly ones, one was £16000, for 21 piles at 11metres was £9500 for 6 metres it would have been £7600 so the prices you got look really good.

We then had 203mm x 203mm x 46kg 75 metres galvanised steels £8300, labour, fixings, machinery hire, delivery etc was £3300, probably not cheapest but very local so they were very flexible.

Beam and block was the best deal, 72 metres of Beam and Block, fully fitted, took 3 people 3 hours, faster than Usain Bolt, £1600 material, £900 labour, provided by FloorSpan, brilliant company. 

On 15/03/2019 at 09:17, Andrew said:

The one area with more charlatans than any other on our build: piling.

Looks like we're exactly the same as you.

In brief, £6500 for 64 piles + detailed ground survey £2.5kish. Forgotten the exact ring beam price but roughly £6 (10 by 10 plus a few bits here and there)

Have a read

Preparing for quotes

Comparing prices fairly

Talking to contractors about piling

And here's a list of the other stuf wot I writ bout piles?

The search section of the site is very powerful. Play with it.......

• 1 year later...