EnerPHit in Hertfordshire

joth

I've been 'lurking' around here for a few months now but thought it time to make it official. We're in planning for an extension and renovation in North Herts, with goals for EnerPHit.

I found the site via searches for UFH and cooling in a PassivHaus and stumbling on a whole world of opportunities and challenges I didn't know I needed in my life! So yes you'll find me mostly posting my questions in the Energy sections.

• Like 3

Afternoon @joth and welcome.

I am always interested to read what people are doing with existing buildings, what are the challenges and what solutions are being explored.

You may want to look at doing a blog at some stage, as it keeps all the details of your project in one place.

• 2 years later...
On 14/03/2019 at 17:57, joth said:

I've been 'lurking' around here for a few months now but thought it time to make it official. We're in planning for an extension and renovation in North Herts, with goals for EnerPHit.

I found the site via searches for UFH and cooling in a PassivHaus and stumbling on a whole world of opportunities and challenges I didn't know I needed in my life! So yes you'll find me mostly posting my questions in the Energy sections.

We received the certificate today: EnerPhit plus. Vital stats:

0.6 ACH  (target: <= 1)

24 kWh/m2 heating demand (target: <= 25)

57 kWh/m2 generation (target: >= 41)

Thank you so much buildhub for a 2.5 year crazy adventure :)

Edited by joth
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

Now we just need to get the rest of the UK housing stock updated to this standard....

Gotta admit I was holding out through the project hoping I'd discover some amazing breakthrough on how to solve this, but didn't come up with anything more magical than higher (enforced) building regs  and a lot of hard graft. 

Our house is only the third EnerPhit "plus" in the country in 4 years, so as expected the route we followed is not a scalable one. 

31 minutes ago, joth said:

Gotta admit I was holding out through the project hoping I'd discover some amazing breakthrough on how to solve this, but didn't come up with anything more magical than higher (enforced) building regs  and a lot of hard graft. 

Our house is only the third EnerPhit "plus" in the country in 4 years, so as expected the route we followed is not a scalable one. 

Yes and very well done to you for seeing it through with a good result.

What frustrates me is we have a government set on a path of slap a bit more insulation in and slap a heat pump in and that's the UK housing stock fixed and carbon neutral.  I think they have totally under estimated the challenge ahead that they have portrayed as simple fix.  There are going to be a lot of disappointments along that path.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

What frustrates me is we have a government set on a path of slap a bit more insulation in and slap a heat pump in and that's the UK housing stock fixed and carbon neutral

I think in all fairness they know it isn't the complete solution.

Probably the quickest and cheapest way to get to the next round of internationally agreed targets.