Private Investigator To Trace Fraudulent Builder,,,

13 hours ago, newhome said:

After they had done the jail time? ?

A friend had a mini digger stolen, it was fitted with a tracker, which indicated it was in an empty industrial unit, which was surrounded by caravans and trucks belonging to “travelling Folk”. He called the Police, they did very little, so he phoned around all his building trades contacts and within an hour the place was rammed with builders. after some agro the Police came back and ‘negotiated’ the return of the mini digger and it’s trailer.

Sometimes direct action is the only way.

All’s well that ends well!

13 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Sometimes direct action is the only way.

All’s well that ends well!

Years ago I had a car "stolen".  It was a few months after my first wife had walked out, and I woke up one morning to find the car gone.  The police traced it, and found it parked outside her parents place, but refused to do anything, as they reckoned it was a domestic.  The car was a well-tuned and tweaked Mini, but was shortly due for an MOT and I knew it needed new cills and probably a new rear subframe.  However, it had a newly rebuilt engine and gearbox, a pair of decent seats, leather rim steering wheel, Revolution alloys, all the Paddy Hopkirk bits (pedals, extended seat brackets etc).  A friend and I went around to see it in the early hours, when no one was home, and stripped it bare, leaving just the shell sat on the road. 

I bought another Mini with a shot engine and just swapped all the bits over.  Probably cheaper than getting my original car through the MOT.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Oh yes. Still criminal. Banking in the 80's was defo legal crime. Money laundering was a huge income. Arms dealers. Bent presidents. Dodgy arabs. I had em all. Interesting times.

Not like that now. These days it can sometimes be difficult for people to deposit legitimately earned money. That’s not to say that the system is perfect but banks make a huge effort to ensure than staff understand anti money laundering measures and processes, sanctions and the like. And to spot signs of bribery and corruption and to act upon them. 

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

Not like that now. These days it can sometimes be difficult for people to deposit legitimately earned money. That’s not to say that the system is perfect but banks make a huge effort to ensure than staff understand anti money laundering measures and processes, sanctions and the like. And to spot signs of bribery and corruption and to act upon them. 

The problem now seems to be that all these checks make things a bloody nuisance for people trying to do things legitimately, yet don't see to have done much to stop people using banks to make off with other people's money.

When we sold our old house last year I must have wasted hours going through all the money laundering stuff, just to deal with the money arising from the sale.  It was a complete PITA, and involved taking original documents into several banks, in person, and having to deal with the confusion caused by some documents not having our new address on them.

54 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The problem now seems to be that all these checks make things a bloody nuisance for people trying to do things legitimately, yet don't see to have done much to stop people using banks to make off with other people's money.

Ah yes well it's always one person whose actions spoil the party for everyone else, and I agree it makes me much less likely to open accounts with any organisations that I don't have a financial relationship with already as I can't be bothered with the hassle. That said, when I opened an account with a challenger bank recently everything was done electronically in next to no time. 

I think the banks have made progress in respect of anti money laundering processes etc. Gone are the days where they will accept a massive pile of used notes from a bag marked swag ;). It's a constant battle however with those determined to defraud coming up with more and more inventive ways to do so, and cyber security adding another complex dimension compared to a more straightforward era when we all used a cheque book and pen. 

47 minutes ago, newhome said:

Ah yes well it's always one person whose actions spoil the party for everyone else, and I agree it makes me much less likely to open accounts with any organisations that I don't have a financial relationship with already as I can't be bothered with the hassle. That said, when I opened an account with a challenger bank recently everything was done electronically in next to no time. 

I think the banks have made progress in respect of anti money laundering processes etc. Gone are the days where they will accept a massive pile of used notes from a bag marked swag ;). It's a constant battle however with those determined to defraud coming up with more and more inventive ways to do so, and cyber security adding another complex dimension compared to a more straightforward era when we all used a cheque book and pen. 

If anybody has a massive pile of used notes in a bag marked Swag, i will be very happy to come and collect it from you. I remember, back in the day, sitting down with an ex president, who handed me his case and asked me how much he had in there. He did'nt have a clue, and the bag was full of bearer bonds for $250,000 each. I counted them for him, and he had $27 million dollars. It would have been so easy to nick a few.... Only problem was, i was a very honest young man back then. Or perhaps, stupid.

19 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

very honest young man back then. Or perhaps, stupid.

Cannae beat honesty and integrity. Once you start compromising on those it’s a slippery slope. 

• Like 1