Cutting back airtightness tape around window frames

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

+1 for terrible Internorm installations ...and still not sorted. 

Those of you with Internorm problems did you get all your sign off and warranty docs from installer or Internorm.  I've had nothing from anyone.  I refused to pay the balance of the bill - it was their fitting fee - I have used that towards rectification work.  Could that be why no docs?  Darren Long at Internorm was involved for a while Thomas Hagen too busy to come etc etc.

Funny that Lizzie. You know our installation has been a nightmare as well and to add insult to injury we now have a leak in one of our windows which I am sure is water getting behind the aluclad exterior, bypassing all the tapes and then pooling on our timber frame but Mr Hagen is not convinced and cannot come out till May!! We had some water seepage after the storms recently at the bottom of the sliding doors and his comment was that this is acceptable after a storm as long as it does not leave the threshold. I am absolutely gobsmacked by the lack of concern over our window installation. Not finished ranting but realised I am hijacking the thread, sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Could you double board the bad ones with another strip of plasterboard.  Measure out to where the tape ends and use either a 6mm or 9mm strip.  Use expanding foam to hold hit in place.  Might help with sorting out how of Square they are.  As above if they are badly out your eye will notice it every time you look that way so it needs fixed if you couldn't live with looking at that all the time. Don't forget about a bead of caulk as well. 

Thanks Declan - there's not enough space to cover it all up - though we might be able to squeeze 6mm in there (at least mostly).  I know that my eye will be drawn to the out of square so you're surely right that this is the time to sort it.

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

A new thread needed I think...sorry for hijacking this one.  Mods how do we move the internorm posts to a new thread please?

I have my own Internorm thread so perhaps it could be moved there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Funny that Lizzie. You know our installation has been a nightmare as well and to add insult to injury we now have a leak in one of our windows which I am sure is water getting behind the aluclad exterior, bypassing all the tapes and then pooling on our timber frame but Mr Hagen is not convinced and cannot come out till May!! We had some water seepage after the storms recently at the bottom of the sliding doors and his comment was that this is acceptable after a storm as long as it does not leave the threshold. I am absolutely gobsmacked by the lack of concern over our window installation. Not finished ranting but realised I am hijacking the thread, sorry.

Pete - when I was going around checking, redoing and generally rolling my eyes at the installation one thing I found was that the overgenerous use of silicone (answer to everything) meant that the drain holes at the bottom of one of my doors were all totally plugged.  I imagine that if that's a regular event there would be a build up of water somewhere inside the frame?