It's a bird? It's a man ? NO! It's a flying scaffold board!

25 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

There's a gap in the tiling to allow for the fact that some idiot or other put the Kwikstage too close to the house.?

Rookie scaffold error that....

In such a situation I moved mine over.

As long as the pads of wood it is stood on are big enough, go along each foot in turn giving it a clout with the sledge hammer and work your way backwards and forwards along the length of the run, and in no time it has all walked over 6"

Best remove everything from up top and wear a hard hat :ph34r:

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

These detailed photos illustrate how material efficient Nulok is. I knew that in theory but am I correct in thinking that 100 m2 of Nulok roof requires just 140 m2 of slate?

I doubt they are any more space efficient than  any other interlocking tile, their USP is the way the tiles attach to the roof on that rail system. 

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I doubt they are any more space efficient than  any other interlocking tile, their USP is the way the tiles attach to the roof on that rail system. 

I read somewhere that the inter-tile drain channel incorporated into the short fixing struts allows one whole layer of slate overlap to be designed out.

7 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I read somewhere that the inter-tile drain channel incorporated into the short fixing struts allows one whole layer of slate overlap to be designed out.

The overlap detail on the NuLock looks hardly any difference to the overlap detail of the Marley Edgemere tiles that I used. 

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

The overlap detail on the NuLock looks hardly any difference to the overlap detail of the Marley Edgemere tiles that I used.

I was commenting from the perspective of a selfbuilder subject to a planning condition that mandates a slate roof. From that starting point Nulok offers a substantial reduction in the amount of slate to be ordered. No doubt Nulok, empowered with their USP, decided to price the system just a smidgen lower than the saving in slate costs.

Edit: Using the tiles per m2 quoted at this site a conventional slate roof requires 2.6 m2 of slate per m2 of roof. Looking at @recoveringacademic's latest photo I guess he is using 1.3 m2 per m2.

https://buyroofslate.co.uk/roof-slate-calculator/

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Stop Press: Kinky Hannah eyes up @recoveringacademicand heads south.

More weather turbulence ahead this Saturday. There is an active front stretching right across the Atlantic and meteorologists are concerned that a mid Atlantic kink on this front will wind up into the next storm scheduled to be named Hannah. Unlike the most recent storms Hannah is not passing Scotland, instead the eye of this storm is heading for a battered slate roof near the Lake District.

22 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Went up to the site on Monday to get some 25mm sheets of Celotex out of the container into the house and cut them up into strips to go in the I-beams forming the window reveals. Got two out of the container, couldn't hold them into wind as planned so held them flat across the wind as I walked to the house door. Just as I was stepping across the ring beam for the porch/greenhouse towards the front door a gust arrived and I lost my balance finishing up stumbling downwind just about hanging on to the sheets. Managed to guide them back into the container where they're sitting now with a slight curve in the middle. Straight home again and didn't even think of going up there yesterday or today.

Please ammend the post to say you managed to hold on to them and were carried through the air to the next village 8 miles away. That would be an amazing story...

(having said which I hope you weren't hurt)

• Haha 1

Ian, health and safety would have a fit looking at your scaffolding, IMO.  I thought that you're supposed to have a kick board around the perimeter of the scaffolding to prevent material accidentally falling off the boarding, and you're also supposed to have a safety rail and netting.  As this incident shows it can get very windy up there, and the last thing is that you want to happen as the final chapter in your build is getting blown off the scaffolding while finishing off the roof. ?

When I do go up there, I do indeed fit a kickboard and netting. There are also four strongpoints to which I fit a fall arresting lanyard and I wear a full safety harness. (Unless I'm up there for a couple of minutes) 

The structure is properly braced (one bay in three) and is fixed to the house in four places. 

The next planned work is early summer. So, until then, to reduce windage, I took the netting and kickboards down.

Having said all that, let's hope I remember my weekly checks eh? But when nothing is happening on it, and the movement tell-tales (a technique shown to me by my dad, an Ex-Royal Engineer WO2) are still in place, I tend to switch off a bit. 

Thanks for the nudge. 

On 14/03/2019 at 19:37, recoveringacademic said:

Well we'll have to see what Debbie has to say about that then, eh?  

'She's welcome to 'im, long as 'ees back on the build on Monday 7.30 sharp '

Was Hannah wicked last weekend?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Davies said:

Woz that, then? To tell if there's been movement of the scaffolding or to tell if people (or other animals) have been on it?

A (few) small block of wood, propped between a vertical and  the house, such that if the scaffold moves away from the house then it will drop. Very simple, very 'dirty' - but at least it makes me think about movement every time I see the telltale: that's it's principal value, I think. Otherwise, I'd just walk past it and not give the issue even a passing thought.

Caused a few heart-stops when I saw the telltale on the ground - until I realised the wind had blown it down. A quick measure of the gap between the vertical and the house was (is) exactly the same.

• Thanks 1