Wind proof lock

jamiehamy

Hi all,

As Gareth approaches this reminds me to ask something I've meant to for a while. Our front doors face the prevailing wind - and right now that's a steady 30mph up to 50.

The locks (Yale/Euro locks) let the wind through - I want to order new locks anyway and have them all Same Keyed, but do want one that has an inherently windproof design - the draught that comes through right now is unreal! I might not be seeing it for looking but not bene able to find a spec on this.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks, Jamie

We had the same problem, the key holes were one of the biggest air leaks we had.  It seems to be a flaw in the design of Eurolocks (one of many design flaws IMHO) that they have a hole right through.

I looked in vain for someone who could supply very long Eurolock barrels that included an internal thumb turn, it seems that very few manufacturers make the really long Eurolocks needed for thick triple glazed doors.

My solution has been to fill the centre of the lock barrel with aerosol motorcycle chain grease, the anti-fling stuff.  It's a bit tedious, as you have to squirt a bit in, let the solvent evaporate so it goes solid, then gently squirt a bit more in, until eventually a plug of solid grease has been built up.  The grease I used is the white stuff I use on my bike, probably came from Halford I expect.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

From memory ... you need to check that insurers will accept thumb turn locks on external doors as the barrel is not deemed to be fully compliant by some. 

Why not, it still has the SAME lock barrel on the outside, you are only swapping the inside one.

Our doors are 75mm thick.  We have Ultion locks with thumb turn. They do a padlock too. There used to be guidance that thumb turns should be used on front doors and also that egress windows must not be lockable. Probably now withdrawn.

The locks on our Gaulhofer 3G French windows and EVVA EPS Cylinders. I haven't noticed any draught or window coming through in any circumstance, though we are not that exposed.

Ditto the lock on our Gaulfofer  3G Front Door, which is a Q Line cylinder Lock?  

39 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Our doors are 75mm thick.  We have Ultion locks with thumb turn. They do a padlock too. There used to be guidance that thumb turns should be used on front doors and also that egress windows must not be lockable. Probably now withdrawn.

Believe it or not, our Euro cylinders are 145mm long, they are 90/55s, which seem to be unobtanium!

We have a standing rule that the key must be left on the inside, in the lock, on all our doors.  It's always worried me that the Euro lock design allows the door to be locked so that the key is needed to get out in an emergency. 

I'd like to fit thumb turns, though.

Is the draught coming through the cylinder or around it due to the normal massive hole that people seem to cut and then cover with the escutcheon?

I found this keyhole draught excluder which may fit depending on the size of your escutcheons.

https://www.handles4doors.co.uk/handles4doors-keyhole-draught-excluder-aluminium.html

You could also try a security escutcheon which covers most of the lock, or a security handle if the lock is built into the handle.

https://www.morehandles.co.uk/escutcheon-euro-profile-armoured-british-standard.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItL6_-aD94AIVzL_tCh2Y5g8-EAQYBCABEgIFxfD_BwE

If the draught actually comes through the cylinder then a thumb turn or leaving the key in would presumably help.

• Like 1

@AliGIt's def coming through the cylinder, however there may be an element through the hole which I could sort when I replace the locks. It's this type handle. https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/hoppe-tokyo-multipoint-handle-upvctimber-92mm-centres-60-70mm-door-thickness-silver-928001

@JSHarris good idea o the grease - if nothing it'll be a temporary solution for now. 

In terms of the thumblocks, I don't like the idea of these - I've heard various accounts of this being a method thieves liek to get in - smash a window, reach in and unlock the door properly with a thumblock. Friends had a Golf R and that was how they tried to get in according to the police. Whilst our doors having big glazing areas, I'd rather not add any 'easy method' to getting in. Appreciate your point @JSHarrisabout being able to exit - Craig is sick of me making a palava about keys going in the one place so we always know where they are in an emergency. That said, we can exit from most windows too if need be,

Thanks @HerbJ - I'll check them out

I reckon that the Mila or Hoppe high security handles would help as they cover most of the lock but not the keyhole. They also increase security and the Mila ones are a much nicer feeling heavier handle.

I replaced the handles in our last house with these after someone snapped a handle then the cylinder to try and break in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/390827040981?chn=ps&var=660234689367

But if it is mainly the cylinder they won't fix that.

For that you could drill a small hole hole into the handle and make a swing plate like you get on a covered escutcheon. Those slim handles are quite difficult to replace with different handles and locks due to the position the screws.

I guess a smart lock could cover the inside whilst not being easy to open if the glass is broken.

Edited by AliG

• 1 year later...