Bungalow or Two Storey

We have had to go back to the drawing board in relation to our house plans for various reasons and are now about to start the second revised design.

We are looking at building a home approx 2000 sq feet and for the first time are considering building a bungalow as opposed to a two storey home.

Assuming there are no space issues, planning issues or foundation issues affecting our choice has anyone considered the cost difference of a two storey home versus a bungalow.

We want this design to be simple,  staightforward and to keep build costs to a minimum.

I understand there is additional roofing costs and additional foundation costs but are there perhaps also savings to be had with building a bungalow?

Any views appreciated

The obvious saving is in not having any stairs, but I'd not be surprised if a 2000 sq feet bungalow cost 30-50% more than an equivalent 2000 sq feet two story house due to a large part of the cost being in the foundations and roof. I've done a quick search and can't see much in the way of example figures, however.

Edited by AliMcLeod

I have a circa 2000sf ft bungalow.  Yes extra costs for things as you mentioned.  I’ve always thought it was cheaper to build two storey.

Perhaps deciding which would suit you (and planners) best and getting some rough costings would be the place to start.

I built a chalet bungalow.  So it's sort of a compromise which works for us.  In terms of extra costs the obvious of extra foundations and cost for the extra concrete and ufh pipes in the screed plus more insulation under the screed. 

I used attic truss which where very easy to work with.  Roof only took 2 days to swing them all into place and have it braced up. 

Thanks all so in summary I would

Use up more space 

pay more for roofing and founds

save on a staircase

Doesn't really make a case for it does it. If your design can be bungalow or 2 storey without impacting on your requirements a 2 storey home seems most effective

8 minutes ago, s2sap said:

Thanks Ian that may be useful - have you used their services?

No I haven't used them as I did my own costings but its a good explanation of the way the form of a building affects cost.

Throw in enough space to accommodate a lift or a stairlift (so check the design of the staircase) and that should cover mobility issues too. Or incorporate a room downstairs plus shower room that could eventually be used as a bedroom.