POE over RJ45 Regs

Other than the obvious common sense stuff to keep the installation reliable, no, as PoE is too low a voltage to be classified as LV and is isolated, so falls within the SELV/PELV classification.  This means that it's largely outwith the provisions of BS7671:2018 and is also not notifiable work under Part P of the building regs.

I have several cameras outside using POE. I used a screened cable rated for outdoor use made by Equiniti. 

My cameras are from Hikvision and came with a socket on a tail like this...

5464_l.jpg

I wasn't convinced the socket was going to be waterproof so I used used some small boxes to hide the connections in under the eaves.

Biggest issue is spiders. The IR in the camera reflects off their webs at night blinding the cameras. If doing a new install I would probably try disabling the IR in the camera and use separate IR lights a few feet away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

You can always dip the connections in silicone grease.

Spiderex is supposed to work but I don't like the idea of killing spiders so up to you. 

It does work but not for that long. I find I have to treat the areas around my camera’s three or four times a year. 

I’ve tried all the various ‘friendly’ alternatives but none work effectively. 

WD40 wiped carefully over the body is one I've read or Jeyes Fluid put on with a modelers brush. Mr Sheen another. Found this comment that seems to have merit:

"Any of the pyrethrin chemicals will provide protection.

Believe it or not it's made from chrysanthemum flowers, several solid block fly killers (look like air fresheners but solid yellow block inside them) contain it.

cut a small strip of it and tie wrap it to the camera body, that should keep the insects at bay.

Regards

Bellman"

Maybe try a few different techniques and see which works best.

• 5 weeks later...