Gravel Driveway Prices

Barney12

Hi All

I'm trying to finalise my landscaping contract (its a very large project over 1.2 acres). I've actually had huge problems finding a contractor to do the work (after selecting one who then cancelled on me at the last minute) but I think I've finally found one I'm comfortable with.

The part of the quote that stands out is the driveway/parking areas. Its circa 320 m2 and the cost is coming in at roughly £100 m2 to include all labour and materials. This is for (broadly):

Membrane

100mm MOT1

Sand Binding

Nida Gravel (stabilisation mat)

50mm South Cerney Gravel

pinned steel edging (Everedge Pro)

Note that I can't have tarmac, hard surface or resin bound a)due to planning restrictions b)drainage may be an issue (sloping site)

Anyone have any thoughts?

For comparison, we're currently getting our drive done - around £150m2  block drive (3 different block sizes, so not "standard" drive blocks), with block kerb/edging  plus a 30m2 path (porcelain tile). We're getting the lot done for around £85m2 (so around £80m2 for the blockwork and £110m2 for the tiled area). Our makeup was no mebrane , 150mm MOT1, sand, but no stabalisation mat.

When pricing up the various options, we were finding Resin was around £100 per m2 and block around £80 per m2. We didn't consider gravel but were told it should be the cheapest option. However, I'm not sure whether your stabalisation matt/gravel is a higher price or whether your edging will have bumped up your price or even whether the price it is area dependent. I'd like to think that a 320m2 area would get you a decent reduction in the m2 cost compared to doing an smaller area.

A quick search found this:

http://www.homeadviceguide.com/block-paving-prices-costs-uk/

Edited by AliMcLeod

A timely question. We're preparing to get our driveway done. It will be geo grid matting filled with gravel, 150mm hard core with membrane. 30m2 of setts at entrance and block paving in the layby. All in, just under £100 p m2. 

39 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

A timely question. We're preparing to get our driveway done. It will be geo grid matting filled with gravel, 150mm hard core with membrane. 30m2 of setts at entrance and block paving in the layby. All in, just under £100 p m2. 

Thanks, pretty similar then.

8 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The grid mat stuff is really expensive. Can you just put this adjacent to the road and also in the turning areas? The remainder should be fairly stable if it is just being driven straight over.

Alas it’s a two parking areas serviced by two driveway accesses so it doesn’t lend itself well to that plan. Agreed though it is expensive. 

Another example of where building on a slope adds cost! :/ 

22 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The grid mat stuff is really expensive. Can you just put this adjacent to the road and also in the turning areas? The remainder should be fairly stable if it is just being driven straight over.

Most products I've seen come in at around £12m2 or less - the prep work is similar to most driveways - Hardcore, whin dust, teram, lay it down and fill with gravel. I was actually surprised at my cost coming in as it did, but seeing this has given me peace of mind. I know the contractor in this instance and they did a great job last time - albeit took their time - didn't cost me extra.

My sister had this on a previous house and it worked well - was a steeply sloped driveway too.

12 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Given the gradient did you consider the more angular Cotswold Chippings?

Funnily enough this was the original plan but on the recommendation of the landscaping co we’ve changed to South Cerney. Apparently the size grading is better suited to the Nida system we plan to use.  

26 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Most products I've seen come in at around £12m2 or less - the prep work is similar to most driveways - Hardcore, whin dust, teram, lay it down and fill with gravel. I was actually surprised at my cost coming in as it did, but seeing this has given me peace of mind. I know the contractor in this instance and they did a great job last time - albeit took their time - didn't cost me extra.

My sister had this on a previous house and it worked well - was a steeply sloped driveway too.

Again, a similar situation. I’ve been considering carving this cost out of the contract but it then means I’ve lost the ‘complete solution’ I wanted to achieve.