When is a kitchen a kitchen?

Justin R

Hi,

I'm new here and have a building regs question.

My Dad needs a full time helper in the house so we are setting up the spare room for this person.

They will not be renting the room, just "living in".

We would like to give them some possibility of cooking in their room, so that during their private time they don't need to use the main kitchen, but I'm worried about coming up against building regs ie fire doors, electric certificates etc. and incurring major costs.

So my question is: How much can we add to the room like fridge, microwave, cooker, kitchen sink etc. before the bedroom becomes a kitchen according to the law?

In other words what is the definition of a kitchen?

Cheers

Justin

Doesn’t answer directly but might help...

If a bathroom or kitchen is to be provided in a room where there wasn't one before, building regulations approval is likely to be required to ensure that the room will have adequate ventilation and drainage, and meet requirements in respect of structural stability, electrical and fire safety.”

from

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/34/kitchens_and_bathrooms/3

if you avoid a sink (drainage) and a cooker (gas/electrical) you might be fine.

All that said I employ home personal assistants and they have a sleepover room with desk TV bed etc but use the main kitchen.

im fact cooking is one activity that can be inclusive for the carer and looked after person to participate in

Also I encourage my guys to cook proper food from fresh in bulk and batch freeze.

Dont know the set up with your dad but my folks have plenty spare time to plan, ship, cook etc

• Like 1

Notwithstanding the position with the regs if you are intending adding the 'kitchen' to a bedroom it may be much nicer to provide better homely facilities (sofa, desk etc) if there is room and leave the kitchen facilities where they are. You could still have a kettle, small fridge and possibly a microwave but full cooker and a sink is likely to change the use I imagine. The kitchen isn't a room used all the time so I doubt that most people who are 'living in' would mind sharing a kitchen. Given a choice I would choose a private bathroom over a kitchen every time. 

• Like 1

Be aware that a second kitchen may lead to this being classified as separate for council tax purposes. I think they say that having services in place (gas, water, drainage) defines if it is a kitchen for council tax - do check the definition.

In our case we have a second kitchen and 2 council tax bills - one of them is set to zero on account of my retired parents using it.

30 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Pass - good question. In our case was clear-cut as separated due to living arrangements.

I some very observant Jewish households have maybe 4 kitchen "areas". 

Thanks all,

many interesting perspectives.

One thing I didn't mention before is that the room already has a sink in it, hand was basin type. So if we put say a microwave and a small fridge in the room can we account for the sink under the "as existing" heading and disregard it, therefore avoiding the requirement for building regs approval etc?

Think I'll try the building control office again (failed to get anything useful from them before), if I have any luck I'll let you know the outcome.