MVHR & combined ASHP for 240m2 new build

37 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

Would it be: Sub floor - Kerdi(or whatever other type of tile backer board) - Adhesive - Tiles?

The heating mat I've used in the past (at our old house) was just embedded in the tile adhesive.  IIRC it was around 3mm thick, so easy enough to fit in the adhesive layer.

• Thanks 1

We have a 3 floor house and over one year in and, as Jan says, our system works fantastically.  We only have UFH on the ground floor slab.  Nothing on the upper floors.  Last year, our 1st floor was the coldest -- at around 21°C rather than the 22½°C on the ground-floor. 

Though this winter I've had a 1kW heater in my 1st floor study with door open to the hall (in the coldest -- around 30 -- days) on a timer kick on for 7 hrs over night to use E7 rate.  This has easily been enough to lift the overall temperature in the upper floors almost a degree.  Compared to an ASHP at a CoP of 3, this has cost us maybe 30×7×0.66×8.5p or just over £11 p.a.  This might seem a lot, but work out the payback decade compared to say putting in skirting heating on the first and second floors.

Key learning: you really don't need upper-floor heating in a true passive-class house.

Edited by TerryE

Well, we’re very pleased to report that our full planning permission was granted this afternoon after 13 months, 5 completely different designs and 2 full planning permission applications. It was particularly difficult as our plot is outside the development boundary, i.e. classed as open countryside, so became an NPPF paragraph 131 (para 63 in old money) application.

• Like 3