Shower recess - how to finish the front edge

Howdy folks - 

Looking for some advice on how to finish the front edge of a shower recess. Done a load of googling but no one seems to tell you exactly what trim shape to use to make these things or they are US results where they just use stone.

Basically I've got some usual, white tiles with unfinished edges on them so some form of trim needs to go round the front edge so they aren't exposed. I'm sure this is one of those things that once someone explains it'll make perfect sense.

Any help (and ideally a diagram) would be much appreciated!!

Something like mine?

20190306_201231

Took some working out:

set_1

Timber frame covered with moisture resistant pkasterboard generally and Aqua Panel in the wet room corner and behind the wc:

20180604_180526

NB: Aqua Panel is a whole different ball game to mrpb. Pretty much inflexible by comparison and cracks quite easily so get your studs dead flush. Dusty (old circular saw and carbide edged jigsaw blades) to cut and needs special screws.

The bottom "shelf" of the Aqua Panel (where the beer is above :) ) projects over the wall panel that comes up to it.

20180508_203653

When all the boarding was done I tanked the pocket with the blue stuff, Aqua Seal in this case.

This is the 10mm white pvc trim I used for 8mm tiles. I went for the tile flush with the trim so you don't feel the trim edge:

20181121_184647

Trim on. I stuck mine on with clear CT1. @Nickfromwalesfavours mitre bond but I couldn't get on with it:

20181005_223429

(I wanted chrome or stainless trim btw but was overruled :( )

Back tiles on first - sits behind the bottom tile btw:

20181006_190348

Bottom tile in second, mine slope toward the front by a few degrees.

A bit of plastic helps to check the fit and get the tile out again:

20181006_191018

20181103_131736

Then the top:

20181111_144705

Then the sides last. See the sloping bottom tile?

20181111_172827

Note the 1mm shims all round.

I take no credit for the majority of this. Mainly done with advice from @Nickfromwales. Standing on the shoulders of giants me!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 3